HybridZ

Frame ties are finished.WOO HOO!!!

denny411

Well I burned some midnight oil tonight and knocked out my frame ties.

I went with a similiar style to pparaska`s ties but did not have to cut the floor at all.

I used 1 1/2"x2 1/2" 3/16 wall tubing, and cut down the sides of the original frame rails. I then fit the tubing inside the original frame rail and mitered the ends to tie them into the rear of the car.

I welded a continuous bead down both sides and completely around the ends.

as they are, i could coat them with undercoating and almost nobody could tell

I will try to post some pics later. :wink:

I just pounded down the high spots, tacked both ends in and pouned the floor back down from inside the car while gradually welding the side of the original rail to the new tubing. Once i had everything where I wanted it, Then I welded them solid down both sides an at the ends.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Woah..so you left the original framerails in place but just hacked out a section and slid in some new steel inside?

Thats a helluvan idea!

Pretty much. luckily I have a plasma cutter that made easy work of cutting out the sections that I didn`t need. I tried to cut leaving as much of the sides as possible. You will need to spread the existing metal as wide as possible to fit the tubing inside.

it will not slide in easily,but If you car is on jack stands it should be relatively easy to use a floor jack to lift the rear into place. Push the front of the tube inside the stock frame seection just where the rail starts to curve up into the engine compartment.

I can't wait to see some pics. This is my next project I am getting ready to embark on. I really would like to see how you did it, with pics from all angles. I don't want to have to butcher my car if I don't have to, luckily my friend just got a welder. Thanks for sharing.