HybridZ

Dual intercooler efficiency question

Guest DaneL24

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

I'm not saying that parallel intercooling doesn't have its place. For DaneL24 I don't see it being helpful. A parallel system in his case would just create extra complexity and possibly more cons than pros. Parallel intercooling is great for twin turbo V engines. Each turbo having its own intercooler and then joining before the throttle body (if the car only has one). I'd like to hear back from DaneL24 to see what he thinks of the topic so far, if he's found any intercoolers, and if his plans have changed any.

Guest livewire23

how long you think before PVC melts to hell? Ill be running PVC for 8 days, and then the car is going to be stored for 2 months, and then when I come back I should get the piping done in mandrel bent steel. The PVC wont be destroyed that quick right?

Sean is right, transition silicone couplers = $$$

Put it this way. PVC is rated for pressure up to 80C. A turbo compressor, depending on how much boost you run, has exit temperatures around 150C under pressure. All it takes is a little melting, and BOOM, the pipe splits. It might last 8 days on the cool side, where it only has to deal with underhood heat, but I wouldn't even try to put it on the compressor outlet.

I used a piece of it for my air intake, and I had to constantly tighten it, as it was flowing out from under the clamp (just from under hood heat - no pressure inside). It did last all summer, but it is gone now (and believe me it's not round anymore).

Guest livewire23

8 days, probably 8 hours total driving time. I'll take my chances. Especially since its coming to me prefabbed. then I can take it to the shop in due time and have them replicate it in real metal.

Hey, that info was from Corky Bell and I don't know if it actually holds true. If you look at his cores and flow #'s.....well....I said supposedly! :roll:

I don't think Corky originally derived the formulas, they predate him (or us) by several hundred years... ;)

And I don't recommend running much boost on PVC - I'd be surprised if it sustained 10 psi more than a minute or two, but maybe I'm being too conservative.