HybridZ

Another Haltech question...

Cruez

While I'm working on the intake and fuel rail, I was wondering what I need to do about the fuel pressure regulator...

I don't want to remove all the vacuum lines before I know what I need...

Rick (SPEEDER) , I know you had a setup similar to mine, what did you run in your N/A Z for a regulator using the haltech?

Anyone else?

Guest jt240z

Just to let you know, what regulator you use and how it's connected has no bearing on using the Haltech. The Haltech systems don't care about fuel pressure. You just need to make sure that the fuel rail pressure is constant in relation to manifold pressure. Run a line from any of the manifold's vacuum nipples to the regulator and you should be OK.

You need to set the base fuel pressure with no vacuum line connected if it's an adjustable FPR. The base pressure depends on what injectors you're going to be using, what their flow rate is, what idle pulse width you're targeting and what pulse width you get at WOT max load.

Gotcha,

Now, I am assuming it will be easier to run an aftermarket regulator...(ease of adapting it to new fuel rail)

BTW, what pressures are normal for a FI 280Z ? So I can have a reference point to setup the haltech.

Guest jt240z

38 psi is the base pressure for a stock 280z but...

You need to set the base fuel pressure with no vacuum line connected if it's an adjustable FPR. The base pressure depends on what injectors you're going to be using, what their flow rate is, what idle pulse width you're targeting and what pulse width you get at WOT max load.

The goal is to have the injectors in their "Happy" range of about .75ms to 1.5ms minimum pulse width at idle (depends on ECU Driver, injector impedance and injector type) and no more then 85% duty cycle at max. If your idle pulse with is to low, then you need to reduce the fuel pressure. If you WOT duty cycle is to high then you can raise your fuel pressure. Keep in mind that all injectors have a base pressure that is ideal and a range that they will operate in. Below that range and the spray pattern gets messed up. Above that range and most injectors will have difficulties opening up the valve. Especially at low pulse widths.

thanks...

I think I use the stock regulator until I have the haltech programmed as close as I can get.... then, if needed, change it to an adjustable one.

Once upon a time I had a Jetronic injection manual..... No idea what happened to it :(

Is there any spec sheets on the stock 280Z injectors around?..

I use a fabricated fuel rail with a Paxton FPR. The stock regulator and rail should be fine for n/a work - I only upgraded mine because of the planned Camden supercharger install on the '78. The adjustable base pressure is handy, however.

As far as I know, the stock regulator does not track manifold pressure above atmospheric.....

Cruez, How's the Haltech tuning coming?

I thought I had it all setup... no start though... :cry:

Pulled the fuel rail off and three of the injectors were not firing...

That problem is fixed... all injectors firing now.

Finishing up making the fuel rail and shaving the intake.... Hopefully I'll have the parts ready to go to powder coating the first of the week (found a nice mixed blue hammered finish color :wink: ). Then I can put it all back on and see if she fires up....:) couple weeks maybe....if all goes well

I can't wait to here her run again......

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I use a stock regulator on my car with 55lb injectors 38psi at idle is fine for me, 60psi on the boost no adjustability needed. I do plan on upgrading to a Aeromotive regulator after I set up my dual pump -10 line set up, just for the added flow but you have to have a very large injector to actually need adjustment on our cars. But it does depend on how you tune your car. Good luck.