HybridZ

I Hate GNs....

speeder

But I like the engine.

Ive been working on a Buick GN with water-out-the exhaust problems and am pulling the heads for the 3rd f'ing time! The car is so big and the motor is so far back and I'm so short - :flamedevil: This thing is worse than my wife's Jaguar to work on!

Probably would be lots easier in a Z. Hmmmmmmm.

Do like I do Rick, Leave the GN in the garage until the "itch" comes back! Seriously, are you using studs for the heads? They always gave me water problems. Went back to new head bolts and it cured it. I'm not running extremely high boost on the GN, max is 18, so the headbolts should be fine.

Joe

Yeah, had to vent.

No danger of a Buick conversion - the 3.0 L6 turbo stroker build is well underway. You gotta admire the effortless power the Buick lump makes, however.

Yes, the freakin thing does have studs - I liberally coated the threads that enter the block with teflon sealant on both previous installations. (The first time I used Fel -Pro head gaskets and all the Buick gurus made the sign of the cross) I really can't see how studs sealed with teflon can be more leak prone than bolts...but then I've heard lots of people relate this same problem with studs.

I have a set of ARP bolts that will be going in once the heads have been checked for straightness and pressure tested. Joe, your input seems to be the conventional wisdom.

You guys would be proud of my homemade stud extractor used to remove the passenger side head - but still one of the biggest PITAs I've ever had.