HybridZ

Floors and Frame Rails

Guest Ozoner

Guest Ozoner

During the restoration of my car, I had the whole car (top and bottom) media blasted down to bare metal. I didn't like what I found under the under coating :( frame rails and floors were rusted. I looked at the MSA floor and rail kits but didn't like them. So I had some custom Floors and rails made out of 18 ga cold rolled steel. Inside the rails I put a 1"X4" steel tube to beef up the frame.

album_pic.php?pic_id=969

album_pic.php?pic_id=971

Ozoner

Guest Ozoner

Those tabs are the clamps for the brake and fuel lines. Once the frame rail is welded in place, I'll reattach them.

Ozoner

Guest Ozoner

About $1350.00 for both floors and frame rails. There was lots of other rust that was cut out and pieces replaced. I had new rocker pannels put in and sections on both front and both rear fenders. This turned out to be a much bigger project than I had planned, but wanted to do it right. I hope by next week the car will be ready to primer. 6 to 8 coats of primer, each one block sanded then a few coats of color then 4 to 6 coats of clear, each one sanded with increasingly finer grit.

Guest Ozoner

Both floors are now in. They were primed and sealed on both top and bottom. Next, new undercoating was sprayed on.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1004

album_pic.php?pic_id=1003

album_pic.php?pic_id=1005

Ozoner

Guest toyotasupra17

ok i have a few questions...

1.im am going to replace all my framerails and floor pans like you did...now what is the best way to approach this?

what is the first step? second step? third step? etc. etc.

2. what materials am i going to need?

what tools?

what should i use for metal? gauge?

should i sand blast the whole underside of the car?

how do u bend the metal like in the pics above?

this is the first time i attempt something like this i would have a shop do it but it would be alot cheaper if i did it myself so im going to try and do this my self basically i need a walk threw and part and materials list

and after all this is installed what should i use for a sealer? like rubber undercoating...primer.....?????

basically im doing all this so the car will last till i die lol i love the car but shes got some cancer that needs cureing

Guest Ozoner

1. I had the bottom media blasted down to bare metal. (I found lots of holes in the floors and rails hidden under the undercoating)

2. Rails, floors and seat brackets were cut out with various air tools, but mostly with an abrasive cutting wheel.

3. Floors and rails were formed on a sheet metal brake using 18ga steel. Floors overlap the transmission tunnel, rocker pannel and old floor by about 2".

4. Floors were fited and trimmed to size using an abrasive cutting wheel. Overlapping areas were scraped off and cleaned.

5. Floors were welded into place. Seat brackets were welded in place using an old seat to verify correct location.

6. Rails were fitted and trimmed to size. 1" x 4" steel tube was welded inside the rails prior to attachment to the car. Rails were welded in place.

7. Primer was sprayed inside on floors and on bottom of floors and rails.

8. Sealer was applied to all welded joint. (Not sure what the name of the sealer was)

9. Underside of floors and rails were sprayed with undercoating.

If I had all the tools, I may have tried this myself. You would need various air tools, compressor, welder, sheet metal brake, and lots of time and patience.

Ozoner

Guest Ozoner

This is a big machine they use to bend, cut and form sheet metal. Both frame rails were removed, new ones were custom made with and internal 1" x 4" tube for strength. They were then welded in place just like the orginal ones.

Ozoner

Guest Your Car is Slow

wow..nice link..

Seems the floor support rails are 60 each

I couldnt BELIEVE the price of the engine frame rails....299 each? Are you kidding me?

Guest Your Car is Slow

Thats a little better...but still...150 bucks for that? Id cut the tops off and weld in a new piece of tube steel before I paid that :/

Guest JAMIE T

Your floors look great! I'm doing this right now to my '73. A previous owner had done it(or had it done). They welded sheet metal over the existing rust. But, thats not the bad part. They smeared tar like stuff all over the interior portion of the floor. It totally clogged my Sawzall blade. I need to get this stuff off BEFORE I can get any further. Sand blasting bounces off it like its solid rubber. I'm going to try my heat gun, but that's messy. I did my '71 a few years ago, they turned out well.