HybridZ

Twin Turbo Something

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have access to two functional turbos ($500 US) they are of the stock 87 GN type. My mind is going crazy with possibilities but I'm stumped. the only thing i've really ruled out so far are the VG series engine + RB's (too hard to find in north am and too expensive). So I'm left thinking L6 with twins but then i think its an old engine and seems to be limited in potential. That is unless I throw tons and tons of cash at it. Which i dont have. So now the budget comes into the equation. *sigh* Then I start thinking twin turbo 3.8 buick ahh that would fit nicely and no extensive frame or fabrication work. Bah but its a buick its not meant for a Z!!! Then I start thinking okay 8 cyl infiniti engine twin turboed here I come all Nissan baby. Alas then I look at the pictures and notice that theres hardly any room to the sides of that puppy in the S30 body. Maybe not even room for twins. HELP! My brain can't decide!!

And no I'm not some whacko 18 year old teenager, I'm just frustrated! this problem must be solved...

Then I start thinking twin turbo 3.8 buick ahh that would fit nicely and no extensive frame or fabrication work. Bah but its a buick its not meant for a Z!!!
What? :D

Just because you have the turbo's doesn't mean you now have all the necessary pieces to make an engine go fast. You need to do some more research and come up with a better plan, instead of assuming that you can slap two turbo's on any motor and it will work for you.

Just about nything will fit in the S30 body, there was even pictures of a red twin turbo SBC Z car posted a few weeks ago.

Hey Cody and David, do you remember Liquid Television? Everytime I see Milton, I think about his first appearence on MTV years ago.

!M!

I think you are going about this completely backwards. Having 2 used turbos that work doesn't mean you should build a car around them!

In my experience, the only thing to design a car around are the tires!

Anyway, figure out what your power goals are, and go from there. 2 stock GN turbo's are going to require some serious displacement to spin them up, and with that displacement you are going to probably end up with a stupidly fast car. In order to drive the car safely you'll likely have to spend $1000's on suspension, wheels, brakes, rear end, roll cage, etc. to the tune of easily $5000-$12000 depending on how extreme you go. So at that point, is it really worth it to design around some $500 parts?

Sound like it is time to do some reasearch! I'd love to see a car that needed 2 GN turbos, but I think you need to know what you are getting into first!