HybridZ

280ZX Coilovers and Wide Rims

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've been looking through the search function for some more info on suspension and wider wheels. There's a lot there, but not quite what i'm after.

How is it that getting coilovers allows you to put on wider wheels? I want to put on 18"x8" at the front and 18"x11 on the back. Is this possible with the 280ZX?

The illumina's also dont appear to be avail for the 280ZX anymore. Anyone got some other suggestions?

By going with coilovers you can use a smaller diameter spring, and also lower the bottom spring perch to accomidate a wider wheel. With the lower spring perch where it is, the rubber will touch it if you go too wide. If you can lower it down so that it is lower than the rubber and wheel endge, then you can get another inch or two of wheel width in there.

18"x11" on a ZX - WOW! What wheel exactly? That's huge. Drax has nailed the reason why - the lower OE spring perch will foul on the wheeltire with something so wide.

I converted my ZX to coilovers last summer and love it. A painful and frustrating experience, but worth every bit.

Regards - Yasin

13822312.jpg

13822725.jpg

13822332.jpg

24625288.jpg

Regards - Yasin

Guest greimann

Actually, the clearance issues on a ZX are different than on a Z. The front spring perch is higher than the tire, and with careful selection of tire width and wheel offset, I think an 18x8 is possible on the front with a stock suspension. Right now I have a 17x7.5 +40mm wheel with a 235/45-17 tire on my stock front, using a 38mm adapter from Modern Motorsports. Considering that tire is 9.24" wide, the selection of a tire, wheel, and adapter combination that keeps you inside that envelope would work. I calculate that an 18x8 +40mm wheel with a 43mm adapter would fit the envelope. Also, a custom 18x8 wheel with a -3mm offset would stack up to the same dimensions. Mount up a 225/40-18 tire an you just squeek in the same envelope that I am running right now.

Be careful at the rear when looking for clearances because the shock is not the limitiation, it is the trailing arm. I don't have as exacting measurements for the rear because I am running the same all around.

strutclearance.jpg

zwheel17x7.jpg

Guest greimann

The rear trailing arm is closer to the tire than the shock is. Go look at your car. You have maybe enough room for a 255 section tire, which puts you on a 10" wide wheel max.

On the front, if you go to coil overs on the ZX, you actually decrease the amount of room because you are increasing the diameter of the strut by putting a spring in there.

When going to the extreme limits of tire/ wheel fitment, you will need to do some careful measurments so you know precisly the width and offset you need.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I'll live with 10's on the back.

I'll get the suspension upgrade done with what I have on at the moment (16" rims, 8" wide) and see how that fits and then maybe look at going bigger.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Hey Jamie,

I hate to spoil any ideas but Vicroads regs only allow 25mm / 1inch wider than original that means 7inch wide legally. At the cost of Simmons and big tyres you wouldn't want to end up with a defect notice & something thats hard to sell. Will get an email off shortly just been a bit busy. Neil

Guest Anonymous

Noooo! *sob*

That having been said, that means my existing setup is already illegal? I have 8" wide rims on there at the moment.

Guest z1 performance

I remember a couple years back having my ZX measured for the big wheels I currently run...I highly doubt you are going to get anything close to an 11 inch wheel back there unless you ditch the stock rear suspension and make your own arms.

As it stamds on ym car, I run 18x8.5 front, and 18x9.5 rear, all on a custom done 3 piece Simmons (they are build to order units along the lines of Fikse, HRE, etc.)...this is e the widest wheel I was able to get onto the car without altering the suspension at all.....everything bolts up perfectly, zero clearance issues even on my lowered car, no rubbing, no fender rolling, etc.

Good luck!

Adam

Guest Anonymous

Watch the caster!! The stock wheels are designed with the cars steering geometry in mind. If you upset the stock offset too much, the car won't feel right when it turns...