HybridZ

iron eagle 215cc head flow #s

this was posted over AT CHEVYTALK.COM I thought you guys might like to see the info!that means that with a carefully done pocket port job these heads will quite easily support 575-600hp

"Ok Folks, perhaps this will help. I just flowed some dart iron e. 215 w205 x160 valves bare out of the box.

int ex

200 lift 122.8 107.6

300 " 170.7 134.0

400 " 218.1 162.2

500 " 254.3 176.7 Thadd

600 " 275.7 181.3

700 " 277.3 184.1

The shop did it in 0.50 increments starting @ 0.50 and the curve was nice and smooth and the reversion bottom to top was FLAT. Minor work could improve things perhaps but thats the BARE truth.

Jim "

Hey Grumpy. I just broke into my Iron Eagle 215s yesterday and am very disapointed in the quality out of the box! One both the exhaust and intake sides there are very obvious (1/8") lips where the pocket was machined. Around the valve bosses there are huge chunks of flash that seem to be very hard to get at with a grinder on the exhaust side. None of the combustion chambers are close to being the same. You can tell the tools were not set up the same from cylinder to cylinder. I even have one exhaust seat that I am very worried about. The combustion chamber has a lot of large pits right next to and a little on the valve seat! ugg.gif At first glance these heads looked really great. All I can say is Im glad Im doing a little cleanup work while Im in there!

Is this normal for an aftermarket head?

yes thats very normal!! and thats why I said several times"NO HEAD COMES READY TO RUN OUT OF THE BOX,THEY ALL NEED A POCKET PORT JOB" the quality of the more expensive aluminum heads is much better and you can get away with running them out of the box but ]"NO HEAD COMES READY TO RUN OUT OF THE BOX,THEY ALL NEED A POCKET PORT JOB" they ALL BENEFIT from a little T.L.C. with a dremmel ;) , the minor clean-up work is worth at least 10-20hp so its time well spent! :D just don,t try to change the port shape your only trying to smooth/blend those tool marks,pits,casting flash, valve seat ridges on the lowest edge as it drops into the port smoothly into the port as you move away into the port it self..btw chevy heads are even worse sometimes :(

yeah, I am only cleaning house! Im not worried about polishing my exhaust port into a mirror or anything. Most of the port intake and exhaust will be left alone. Ive read that about 90% of your results can be achieved with about 10% effort. I am however trimming down the valve bosses just a tad and working the seam of the short radias turns down smooth.

take them down to the do it yourself local car wash that has those high pressure wands that spray soapy water blast the crap out of those ports (be carefull around the valve seals)then spray the heads down with wd40 to remove the water untill you get home and dry the heads completely with a hair dryer and spray them down with good quality spray oil and put them sealled plastic bags untill you need them but be very sure they are totally dry,hot from the hair dryier and well oiled first)