HybridZ

synthetic oil info

Guest 400 ci 280z

just wanted to see what everyones opinion about synthetic oils are. personally i use them and like them a lot. i might just think they are working but anyway... cheers.gif

I'm pretty much sold on synthetics, or at least one brand of synthetic oil.

Four or so years ago two friends and myself were running my friends boat in a local off shore race. The block failed where it had been clearanced for the connecting rods. By the time we got it shut down we ended up with a motor full of salt water and 15-20 gallons of oil/water that had been pumped out the breather into the bilge.

It was a couple of days before we tore the motor down, we weren't in a big hurry since we figured the whole motor was junk. Except for the crack in the block the motor looked perfect, bearings were fine, cylinder walls etc.

My friend was using a oil made by Dumonde Tech. The guy that owns Dumonde Tech has been engineering specialty oils for racing and for the oil companies for a lot of years. The stuff isn't cheap but in this case it sure seems to have been worth it.

I'm new to the forum, you've got a great site. Lot's of great info. for when I'm finally done collecting parts and get around top putting a 4.3 chevy into my 70 240.

Guest Anonymous

I'm sold on the idea of synthetic oil. I use Redline syn' in my tranny and diff, but I've been putting off using it in my engine.

The question I have on synthetics is a naive one but here goes. How well do I have to drain my current system? I have an oil cooler and lines to a remote filter... do I have to purge those lines before changing over to synthetic?

jon

The one time event isn't the reason that we were sold on the Dumonde Tech oil, we were sold on them before. We had lots of feedback from others and having met Rod we were pretty confident in his oil. This was just a validation for us.

We were running the engine pretty hard, about 6200 RPM under load and not on a stand with a garden hose. The RPM drop between the two engines was what got our attention, so by that time it had probably been run for several minutes on a saltwater oil mix.

Guest greimann

All commercially available synthetics are compatible with mineral oils, so no, you don't have to purge your oil cooler lines unless you really want to.

A word of caution about interpreting a one time event or demonstration as evidence of performance. The scientifc method requires a control subject and a test subject to be run under the same environment with just one variable changed, in this case, the oil. Unless you have one motor running mineral oil and one motor running synthetic in the same situation, you cannot make a judgement on how much difference the synthetic made. I'm not saying that synthetics are not better, because they are. Just make sure you take a critical look at what "evidence" is being presented to you.

This lack of scientific method is the main thrust behind these circus-stunt infomercials that spray water and sand into an engine and say, "See, it still runs!"