HybridZ

personal Tragedy :(

Guest Darthmentos

Guest Darthmentos

Few weeks ago my innocent and well loved 86 300zx was forced into a ditch causing major structural damage to the front end. The car has been totally cut apart in the body shop back to the shock towers.

now most folks would puddle up at this point.got some lemons.

But I found some sugar to make some lemonade with SteveR's help.

He located a complete 1985 turbo for $500 minus title.

So now Im gonna have a 300zx turbo.

I have only one question, which is, If the turbo motor is 8.0:1 compression

My motor is 9.0:1.

When I put the turbo (garrett T-3 nothing special) on the N/A engine will it eat itself?

Guest Darthmentos

I know it's off topic here, but I needed input from this board because you all know what the hell you're talking about.

All the other info I have been getting off of other turbo related boards has been ludicrous speculation. Im only gonna run around 6 pounds on it. I just fear the detonation weevil.I also ain't got $1400+ for the custom IC kit. should I wait till my motor starts to go south and either use my dished 8.0:1 turbo pistons or buy ARIAS forgings before putting the t-3 on. all my injection/computers/equipment at the moment are good for up to 25% extra horses according to nissan.

what I mean was that you posted on a Chevy V8 section about boosting a Nissan V6. No biggie for me. But I think you can get more responce if you posted on Turbo/Supercharger section on his board.

The stock injectors off Z31 N/A will support around 260 crank HP. I'm running same injectors in my L26ET. you would want boost retard box of some sort and IC to keep the car from detonation.

Well, B'ham (central AL) Zcar club meets tomorrow. I'll be there. (minus car though :cry: )

You should be fine at 6 psi on the NA motor, provided you run 93 octane gas. Are you planning on swapping the ecu for the turbo over too? That would be a good idea if you ask me. Not sure if the harnesses are the same between the NA and the turbo, but I doubt changing the harness would be a big deal.

Be sort of a challenge if you ask me. Of course you could have JWT mod the ecu for you, that would give you some more power, and increase your safety margin.

Something to think about anyways. PM me if you need to.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You need to controll your ignition time to get away with it. If you use a intercooler turbo injectors and turbo ECU you may get away with it. I would do a engine swap to the turbo engine. I am currently looking for a used VG30T to swap into my 87 Maxima and I am going to use a turbo ECM, HKS AFR for injection time optimizing and a NPR intercooler. If you spent the cash on a standalone you could tune the timing curve and keep it safe, but factory ECU is gonna jump the timing up and that is what kills hi-er compression turbo engines. Good luck hope the car comes out clean again.

Guest Darthmentos

believe it or not, dude. Ive done some researh into your maxima. Your block N/A vs turbo is the same.

All you would need is a set of dished turbo pisons wich are still readily available through nissan.

I am interested in a standalone ecm for my critter. Mine got wet :(

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Thanks for the info I just don't want to build a engine. I am critical of clearences when I do rebuilds and I cant afford to bring this thing back from the dead and cut every surface of the engine. So I will roll the dice and find a good used turbo engine and plop it in the Max with new cooling and timing components. The search is on.

Alex C

Guest Darthmentos

I do not know at this time what I will be doing with my spare turbo, I do know that forgings are a must for the pistons.

Its not a candidate for a drop in but might make a good buildable core at some time in the future.

Guest Rodney Sparks
I know it's off topic here' date=' but I needed input from this board because you all know what the hell you're talking about.

All the other info I have been getting off of other turbo related boards has been ludicrous speculation. Im only gonna run around 6 pounds on it. I just fear the detonation weevil.I also ain't got $1400+ for the custom IC kit. should I wait till my motor starts to go south and either use my dished 8.0:1 turbo pistons or buy ARIAS forgings before putting the t-3 on. all my injection/computers/equipment at the moment are good for up to 25% extra horses according to nissan.[/quote']

You could always do what I'm planning on doing for my Neon... get two late 80's Mazda MX6 intercoolers from the junkyard (I got one for $30 from the local Pick 'n Pull), and fabricate new end tanks to put the two cores in parallel. Makes for a 26" wide x 7" tall x 3" thick intercooler that'll flow like mad, for minimal cost. Put some exhaust tubing and mandrel bends together, and you have a custom intercooler setup for a couple hundred dollars. That is, if you're into projects like this.

Here's the intercooler I have:

http://www.rsparks.com/intercoolers/mazda_face.jpg

Also, if you're interested in buying the legendary Volvo intercooler, I have one for sale for $150.

http://www.rsparks.com/intercoolers/volvo_core.jpg

http://www.rsparks.com/intercoolers/volvo_face.jpg

http://www.rsparks.com/intercoolers/volvo_inlet.jpg

I dunno if it'll fit in a Z or not...

Anyway, there's my first post to the Hybrid Z forum. Hope it helps at least a little bit.

-Rodney

Heh, Rodney Sparks... Now there is a name that I know well. ;) How's it going man? Haven't heard much from you since the mailing list went down, I guess you didn't bother with fsae.com. Did you make comp this year? If not, you missed an interesting one.

A hybridz might be as close as you can get on the street to the FSAE cars. At least affordibly. Welcome aboard.

Guest Rodney Sparks

I don't know how sensitive you guys are to thread jacking, but I'll follow the moderator's lead... :wink:

Doin' pretty well. Just got my ME degree in January, and am FINALLY getting an ME job next month. The FSAE e-mail list went down at just about the same time that I was wrapping up my active involvment with our FSAE team. Our team went to the competition this year, but due to the fact that they're a bunch of irresponsible idiots, things didn't come together. After 4.5 years of doing FSAE, I'm kinda burnt. :wink: Don't get me wrong, I love the project, but I am tired of dealing with a group of unmotivated people.

I've been on this site before, and have decided that a hybrid z will be my first project car, when my finances reach 'project car status'. :wink: I had originally decided that I wanted my car to be like Pete Paraska's car, but I've recently become fascinated with forced induction. Now, I'm thinking MAYBE a twin-T3 small block 350 (that's a buttload of power), or possibly a beefed-up L28 turbo with a T5 behind it. I might still go NA, just because a 350 is cheap and plenty powerful. I'm going to turbocharge my Neon this year sometime, just for fun. I already have my junkyard T3... ;-p

Good to hear from you!

-Rodney

The Volvo intercooler has been used in Z's in the past with reasonalbe success at low boost pressures. I believe one of the scotties is using one (scottyMIz) but had problems with the plastic tanks at high (15psi) boost pressures. Its a good low dollar option from the sounds of things, though I'd spend a bit more and find an NPR intercooler. (oh wait, I did do that)

A hybridz is a great first project car... these things are a snap to work on, and pretty straight forwards to find parts for. Plus there are a lot of factory parts that can be used as upgrades. Personally, I like the twisted 6 option, but there are some sweet 8's out there too.

Oh yeah, I think everyone on this board wants their car to be like Pete's car. ;)

Guest Rodney Sparks
Personally, I like the twisted 6 option, but there are some sweet 8's out there too.

Is "twisted 6" Z lingo for a turbocharged L6? The deductive reasoning they learned me in skool suggests that it is... :wink:

-Rodney

Guest Rodney Sparks

Richard-

Okay, so let's say in my future project car I was to go with a turbo L28. Didn't that come with a T5 tranny, or was that just the 300Z with the VG30? Is a T5 compatible with the L28? Is there an advantage to switching to a later model T5? About power output... what could be expected from an engine set up for fairly reliable street duty? How stout are stock L28 rods and pistons for a turbo application? How expensive are turbo pistons and rods for it? Would there be an economical advantage to just going with a ~$2500 SBC 350 and a T5 tranny? I just want something reasonably quick (mid 13's or so). It seems to me that 13's won't be hard with a small block, I just don't know if a turbo 2.8 will do it easily...

Thanks for tolerating my random babbling... :wink:

EDIT: wanna buy my Volvo IC? :wink:

-Rodney

I'm happy with my NPR intercooler. ;)

mid-13's is a easily attainable goal with the L28 as well as the 350. The L28 is a robust engine, and it can take quite a bit of power. There are people on this board putting down 350+hp at the wheels with stock internals. If you wanted more than that, forged pistons are probably all that is needed internally for up to about 400rwhp. This should put you in the 11's in a 240z, assuming you are getting a good launch.

A couple of Scotties here got into the 12's with a stock engine, stock turbo, and a few bolt ons. (IC, bigger injectors, programmable EFI) If you put it in the much lighter 240z, you can easily have a L28 in the 13's.

Most people like the T5 and say it is stronger, but I am not convinced that the nissan tranny is weak. The T5 came in the 83 280zx turbo MT cars. All other MT cars used a nissan tranny to the best of my knowledge. I guess the nice thing about the T5 is that you can get aftermarket shifters, and its easy to find someone with experience to work on it. Oh, some people like the gear ratios better as well.

Gear ratio info:

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html

Z-car 1/4 mile times:

http://grannypotts.freeservers.com/Times.html

Best low budget swap would be to get a rusty 280zx turbo, and transplant the engine, tranny and wiring. For a bit more flexibility and performance, scrap the stock efi system and get a programmable system. The SDS (http://www.sdsefi.com) is inexpensive and performs well. Add an intercooler and injectors you are probably close to your goal!

Guest Rodney Sparks

Richard-

Thanks for the info!

What about a fuel injected VG30? If I'm gonna go to the pick 'n pull to get a motor, my options are totally open. How does a VG30 compare to an L28 in terms of boosted HP capacity, weight, ease of installation in a 240z, and compatibility with a T5? Having the CG of the engine drastically lowered and moved rearward is pretty attractive... although I don't know what I'd do with the extra 3' of engine bay that'd be left. :wink: I guess that's where the T4 would go. :twisted: I definitely want to get something that is early enough to be smog exempt, which is '74 and older in CA right now. Next year, it'll be '75 and older. I don't think I'll have this project done any sooner than 2 years from now, but it doesn't hurt to edumacate yerself ahead of time. :wink:

Whichever way I go, the plan is to use a Megasquirt fuel injection setup, so I won't be limited by stock computers, RRFPR's, and all of that hokey crap. :wink: I'm putting an MS on my Neon this summer, just for the heck of it. I want to see if I can achieve a better state of tune than the Mopar Performance PCM I'm running right now.

-Rodney

Well the VG30 has been done too, though it is far from a bolt in like the L28. I am not sure about the T5 on the VG30, but certainly there are trannies out there that can handle some sick power. (Z32TT, etc) Search for posts by ZR8ED and check out his setup... he's running a VG30 single turbo in his early Z. In some posts he's outlined what is involved with the swap. It does involve some fender cutting and so on. But as you say, C of G is lower and behind the front struts. the VG30 is a crossflow head, and has more displacement... both are a great advantage over the L28. It also happens to be one of the lightest V6's around from what I've read.

VG30 full T4 setup would be really slick, and yes you could front mount the turbo ala buick GN... there would certainly be room for it. (though custom manifolds would be needed of course)

Sounds like you are on the right track!