HybridZ

How to get paint off of rubber/plastic

Dave240Z

Anyone have a good method of removing paint from vinyl/rubber? The reason I ask is that I've just finished my backyard paintjob for the Z and the old color was orange, while the new color is satin black. The problem is that the car had a cheapy orange respray at some point which resulted in some overspray on the window rubber and some misc plastic parts. I tried using paint thinner already since I had it handy but it didn't work. I need something that will remove the paint without harming the rubber too much. I will replace the rubber once I get the car professionally resprayed in my dream color but until then I want it to look at least presentable. Any ideas?

Here's a pic of the car as it looks today....

album_pic.php?pic_id=1019

• 2 weeks later...
If you are going to replace it later why dont you just take a black magic marker to it. You probably will not be able to tell the differance

Funnily enough, I did try that. Didn't quite work out as I had hoped.

I did find a solution that works reasonably well though. I am using paint thinner, which when rubbed onto the rubber seems to take care of the problem. Due to it's solvent nature, it also removes a nice layer of oxidation and helps renew the rubber a bit.

It's amazing how cheap the respray on this car was, it's almost like they just drove the car through a paint booth.

• 3 weeks later...