HybridZ

280z vs 240z suspension

I know the coil overs are the same, heard the strut bars and sway bars fit either car, but struts are always listed seperated. I know for instance, in the Sc300 vs the mk4 Supra, you can bolt coil overs made for either car, to either car, but you cannot use sc300 springs with supra struts, you have to use all or nothing. So my questions is, my buddy has some suspension stuff he no longer needs, namely sway bars, strut bar, coil overs and tokico illumina 2's, if i buy all of it, can I bolt it to my 73 240z, as his car was a 77 280z.

You are going to have to dig up information on this one. I would also call Ross C at Modern-Motorsports to get the real info.

The 280Z strut is bigger around AFAIK by a very very small amount. That makes getting the aluminum threaded sleeve on difficult going from a 280Z to 240Z. The sleeves are not expensive BTW. I would buy the whole shebang if I was you.

Davy

i just went through this myself. the 240 and early 260z have strut tubes with a diameter of 2.05" whereas the 280z (i'm not sure of the late 260z) have strut tube diameters of 2.2". now that does not seem like much but i don't think that you would want any space for movement between the strut and the threaded aluminum tube. the difference in the diameters is just enough that you can't use the 240 coilover tube on the 280z struts but i think you could probably get away with wrapping the 240z strut tube with an aluminum or metal tape so you would get a snug fit with the 280z coilover threaded aluminum tube. somebody correct me if i am wrong.

As far as the aluminum threaded sleeve, you can buy these seperately.

So the coil overs will work.(with the smaller sleeves)(if needed)

The catalogs list 280 sway bars as bigger than 240 / early 260 sway bars.

They will bolt up but if the spring rates are high on the springs it might be to much sway bar for the 240 / 260.

If it`s a good deal, get it and install it and see how it feels.

Just try to find out what the spring rates are.

The shocks will not work, the rotors and S/S line will !

Now, if you are talking about the "strut assemblies" they will bolt up to your 240.

its a whole coil over set off a 280, think of it like this: have a road raced 77 280z, guy pulls the motor and gives me his car, I can pull off that whole suspension set, his coil overs, his struts, his brakes.. ETC ETC ETC.. how much of it can i bolt onto my 72 Z. IT sounds to me if i use 280 strut tubes with the 280 threaded sleeves, it will bolt up perfect? the car will have a damn good cage put in to stiffen things up. I like my car to sit REALLY flat, so im thinkin the sway bar shouldnt cause much problem. I will call Ross tomorrow for some additional info, and then ill let you guys know when i do it if i do it.

sorry i misread your post. if you are planning to take the whole 280z assembly (meaning front and rear suspension) and move it to the 240z it should just bolt up perfectly. the only real difference from that point of view is that there is no rear sway bar mounts on the 240 but i have seen pictures of guys cars where they have fabbed up mounts for a rear bar on them. one other difference i just thought of is the 280 strut tubes are slightly longer and the isolators on the tops of the springs are longer than the 240 ones so in order to maintain roughly the same ride height you should swap the 280 isolators for the 240 ones. if you don't you'll probably raise the ride height of the 240 by about 1".

Yup, from what I understand just swap everything over. Simply unbolt the strut assemblies and bolt them onto your 240Z. Coilovers allow you to choose your ride height. The 280Z isolators are a bit taller, so just lower your car to your liking if you have the room for adjustment, otherwise as said above, just use your 240Z isolators (the things that are on the very top of the strut assembly with the three studs sticking from the top of them) to bring your car back down. If you're worried about running out of adjustment for some reason, you can grind off the spring perch and reweld it an inch or so lower. Don't see why you would have to do that though.

Get yourself a factory service manual (if you have not done so) to see how everything comes apart. It's pretty easy.

!M!