HybridZ

I did a search but I couldn't find how to add metallic chips

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

someone offered to do them for me but wanted a ton of cash. I have a black car and i wanted to know how to add that metallic spritz? look, They are often seen on older show cars. Does anyone even know what I am yalking about because it is hard for me to explain.

thx

Newbee

The metallics must be applied with paint or clear coat. They can`t just be applied over existing paint. As far as I know, you will have to repaint the entire car to do this since it`s not recommended to apply clear over standard single stage paint. Also, I`m not too sure how it would turn out with the metalics in the clear.

I think the result would be much nicer with them in the base coat.

Guest Anonymous
The metallics must be applied with paint or clear coat. They can`t just be applied over existing paint. As far as I know' date=' you will have to repaint the entire car to do this since it`s not recommended to apply clear over standard single stage paint. Also, I`m not too sure how it would turn out with the metalics in the clear.

I think the result would be much nicer with them in the base coat.[/quote']

this is what I meant sry denny :lol: anyways I am planning to repaint as well. Do you know how I get the metallic stuff into the paint? Does anyone?

N

Most reputable automotive paint stores will mix the metallics for you. I was discussing this last week with a friend that does this for a living. He says that they have to add clear to the base coat with metalics or pearl to get it to show up. He also says that one of the side effects of this is that the paint will not cover as well.It is supposedly worst with reds.

• 3 weeks later...

They way I have heard recommended is having it added to the first layer of clear coat only. Your basecoat will cover best and you have more clear over the metallic to protect it. Be careful when doing this though because the metallic in the clear can greatly effect the original color of the basecoat. IF done right I think this is the best method and looks better IMO. Good luck

newbee,

ive been able to experiment with this stuff at school. we just added the metalic chip to a clear base coat(not clear coat). after we sprayed the base color, we would just "dust" this stuff on with our sata n2000. we dusted it on so it wouldnt show our stroke(just make sure that the base stays wet enough for the metalic flake to lay flat). then hit it with clear coat. sound right anybody?

Yes, I agree with racerx. There are a few different ways to do this. You can buy jars of silver, gold, and colored flakes from a reputable auto paint supply store. They cabe added to the base or clear. And like racerx said, definitely do a test panel and remember that it will look different when your WHOLE car is covered. I don't think the "bass boat" paint job looks very good on a Z. Also, be sure to premix enough paint/flake to do the whole car so you get an even amout through the whole process.

You would have to have the whole car repainted. You would have to take it to an autobody shop to have them mix the metallic in with the base coat and clear over it. My father owns a auto body shop, which hopefully i will be able to takeover soon, but if you mixed the metallic in with the clear that would make for one crappy paint job and alot of buffing.

Best advice would be to take it to good body shop pic a color and have them write a estimate to paint the whole car.