HybridZ

rookie 240z owner looking for info on lsd swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 72 240z with a moderatly modified 355sbc, jtl conversion, attached to a TPI 700-r4. I have the git, 13.96 102.22 @5k altitude, but not the stick. I am running 235/60r14 tires, 3.36 gears and the tires just won't bite. My 60' times are in the 2.4 range. I would like to change the rear to a lsd of 3.7 ratio but I have no knowledge of what it requires, what will fit and what won't. Any help would be sincrely apreciated. It is a real grin to see the reaction of vettes, 5.0s and hot rods after we run. I am sure a little traction will help considerably.

Personally I would scrutinize your choice of tires before looking to change to a different diff! What brand of tires are you running? The grip that you are going to get out of your tires in a straight line is surprisingly unrelated to the tire width. (well, not unrelated, but compound matters very much more)

Also, are you able to cope with the additional RPM's it will take to go the same speed with a 3.7:1 ratio over a 3.36:1 ratio?

I'd spend the money and time on trying out some new drag radials first. Just my 2 cents.

Guest Anonymous

I appreciate the input. My biggest fear is using a tire that has a solid bite and scrambling the rear end. From what I have read, the r180 is not stout enough for a stickey tire, so I figured on upgrading to a r200 and sticky tires. The engine has run 6800 so I'm confident of that. Found a great site, recommended in a much earlier, that shows rpm and speed @ 1/4, works out to right at 6k. thanks for your ideas, everything helps.

Guest thepenguin99

the r180 is a fairly stout rear although not as stout as r200/r230 rears

I would probably run the 180 till it died...they are damn near impossable to sell anyway

I think you should also look into some good drag radials. Get some BFG Drag radials and see what happens to your 60'. I think you will like what you see. Besides changing tires is way less complicated than changing differentals and putting in an LSD! :D

Guy