HybridZ

One more really dumb question for grumpy...

Well the Iron Eagle struggles continue. I am all set to order new valve springs and now I notice that the valves are different lengths. bonk.gif I know this is a stupid question but should I buy new valves for the other side or should I just shim the long side? Like I said, I know not what I say. I am still trying to learn.

Also, if you could help me with valve name brand identification. One head has manley valves and they are marked the other has valves marked with a 3B-17. The 3B is in an oval. If I have to buy new valves I would like for them to match.

you should be able to shim them with no problems but Id buy new valves myself, the longer set of valves is what I try and match because they should have more retainer to valve guide and spring bind clearance. but like I said its ok to run those valves you have if the clearances are set up ok and the valve springs are shimmed correctly.

BTW now YOU SEE WHY I SUGGESTED BUYING FROM

http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com/

but don,t feel to bad you get to LEARN MORE THIS WAY, LOOK AT THIS AS TUITION IN THE SCHOOL OF DOING THINGS CHEAP/WRONG the first time! DONT MAKE ANOTHER MISTAKE>>>>get the correct springs, and since you need the new springs, get springs for a .600 lift clearance and get your heads clearanced for .600 lift, the differance in cost will be minimal but the troubles you may prevent in the future will be worth it.

Yes, yes, now I do see why spending an extra $200 up front would of been at least easier. As for using the longer valves on one side and the shorter on the other will I have to go with two different length pushrods? it would seem that the longer valve stems will change the geometry a bit?

yes, longer pushrods will most likely be needed,but you wont know for sure till you use a push rod length checker, and thats one of the reasons I said I would match the longer set of valves MYSELF rather than shim the springs and get them to work that way. ITS almost always better to do it correctly than to figure a way to make it work,(INCORRECTLY)

http://www.compcams.com/catalog/278.html

http://www.compcams.com/catalog/277.html

Guest gbvol54

Grumpy, your knick name truly fits. I'm sure utvolman99 appreciates your advice as much as I do, but darn it, you sound like my dad (and I'm 47 years old with two teen age daugthers). Some things (like doing it right the first time) are hard lessons to learn when you are on a budget. But your message is clear. Better to do it slow and right, than fast and wrong.

By the way, I mean that 'sound like my dad' stuff as a compliment.