HybridZ

somebody recomend good primer.

rayaapp2

I am looking into epoxy primers for starters. Is there any other primers that seal the metal. My car is stripped of paint. I want to put a primer down to seal the metal then reprimer after I do fillers and stuff. Is this a good idea? I was told that epoxy primers don't need to be a specific color. Such as light or dark. Or red, black, or grey. Who makes a good primer. I don't know what color I am going to paint my car yet. The two colors I am having a hard time with is a bright yellow that you see on most fast looking 240z's No not that urine original stuf, and a dark blue that my car was painted before The blue and yellow both look good, but will one or the other detirmine the kind or color of primer I should use.

thanks

ray

Guest freakypainter

what you need is a dierct to metal primer/ DTM for short. go to your local paint store and they will know, Du Pont's 2500 series DTM primers are available in white, gray, or dark gray. 2510s-white 2540s-gray 2570s is dark gray. PPG also has a similar product but RacerX would be the one to ask about that.

My local paint store is mainly PPG. In fact untill I started body stuff I thought that was the name of the store. It has PPG on the window but the name of the store is on the inside. Automotive Color. They recomended the epoxy primer because it would create a surface for the paint to adhear to. I will ask them about DTM primers. I think that is what they were promoting for me. It's like 200 bucks for a gallon can. I guess its worth it. I was just looking for other input on what to get. Hopefully others have something to say.

Here is a good site for info as well...

http://www.ketone.com/search_results.asp?PAGE=1&txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=333&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&btnSearch.x=12&btnSearch.y=10

Scroll thru the pages you will find the epoxy primers for $97 a gallon. I have not done any business with this company, maybe some one else could provide some feedback about them.

Listen to RacerX