HybridZ

2 Step V8 conversion! HELP!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone, I'm brand new, and I did a search but couldn't find what I'm looking for... I'm sure this is a repeat question... but I really need help so I'll ask anyway!

I have a '73 240Z that I want to put a small block Chevy in... It has sat for 10 years, so I would like to do a 2 part project. I want to get the JTR book and put a mild motor in it for 6-9 months while I shake down the wrest of the car, with a small 200-250 HP V8 seed motor... something ready for a serious 450-500 HP build later. That way I can get the rest of the car up to snuff over a short period of time... my question is simple... could the standard 4 spd tranny and drive train handle this for a while (the 200-250 hp seed V8 motor) until I put in a 5 or 6 speed later... I also expected to upgrade the rear end and half shafts as well, as the HP and torque required it... I have heard of and seen actual finished cars that have V8 conversions with the Datsun 4 spd trans and stock rear-ends somehow working with the new V8 attatched. Is this possible... have any of you seen this first hand... do you know if this is possible? I have a good friend that is a mechanic that says there is no way this could be... that the standard set-up could never handle the torque of the mighty V8... is he right?! If adapting the V8 to the standard 4 spd. tranny is possible... what adapters are available to make this happen... or am I stuck finding a custom fabricator? I'm sorry for the long question... I have a tight budget right now... I want to get my dead Z running for around $3000-3500 NOW... work the bugs out... and upgrade it as is possible... am I crazy... or is this possible?

First of all welcome aboard! :D:D 8)

I "think" that it's possible but it is deffinetly NOT worth it. You can get a camaro 5 speed pretty cheap from the junk yard. 99 out of 100 guys will tell you its just not worth the extra effort to get a datsun tranny hooked up to a chevy V-8.

It would most likely cost more to get an adapter plate made or bought than it would to just buy a camaro 5 speed.

Guy

Stock rear end no problem. But second what 80LT1 said. I'll bet you can get a complete Cheby 305 with tranny, driveshaft and all the fixins for well under $800. Hell, you could get an entire running car for that. Ask your local car dealer to look for tradeins.

Of course, if this is the engine you want to build to 400 HP, then complete LT1's with T56 6 speeds can easily be had for $2000. Less if you shop or are satisfied with an automatic tranny. Will save $$ thowing away the 305 if you do it right in the first place.

If you want 450-500 streetable HP, then you are looking at a 383 or 400 engine anyway. In that case get the 305 to give you a cheap car to drive while you have the monster engine built. 500 HP is possible from an LT1, but will require some work and will be less streetable.

Chassis work can wait forever if you exercise some restaint with your right foot. A stock 305 with an auto is mild enough that you may have no chassis worries at all.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks to both of you! I went and grabbed a parts trader... I think I'll do what Jim suggested. I'll put something in there for around 800, and buy another motor to build. Thats the only thing that makes any sense. Its brilliant. Thanks again!

Jeremy

Guest Anonymous

Hey Jim... I live in San Diego... I haven't seen LT1 and T56 for $2000. If you know where I can score that set up for a price like that... please, do tell... I must know! :P

If you do go with an LT1 make sure it is the 95 version. It has the updated optispark(distributor) and it is OBD1(type of computer). Both of these make the 95' the most desirable. I wish I had done a little bit more research before I bought mine(93') 93' is the worst because it used a non-reprogrammable computer. It still used a chip unline teh 94+ computers, they use a reprogrammable(flash) computer. I have to go threw the trouble of sending my computer out and having someone else reprogram it for me! :cry: Oh well live and learn I guess.

The 94' is still a good deal but I would update to the 95+ Optispark unit. You will know what I am talking about if you go this route because it is a common upgrade on the 93/94 LT1's. So if you can get a good deal on a 94' LT1/T56 combo then jump on it! But I would look for a 95' if possible.

The 96'/97' LT1 is an OBD2 computer set up and it cost 2-3 times as much to have it programmed! That is the only real down side though.

Guy

Don't know about San Diego, but check out ebay. There is a place near me in Bristol PA that sells complete engine-tranny combos all the time for around 2 grand. Less for autos. Try a search on this site. Other guys have listed what they have paid for their set ups. 2K is ball park, depending upon the deal.

• 4 years later...

I looked for weeks for a running '95 LT1 & T56 in So. Calif. and finally found one for $3000 in Austin, TX in a salvage title Camaro, and one in the SF bay area for $3200 in a running, but totalled Camaro. I ended up going in another direction and just buying a running '90 Firebird Formula TPI 350 and WC T5 for 2-grand. I don't know where you found 2-grand LT1s, but if you know where I can score a good deal on an LSx & T56, let me know.