HybridZ

OK - Big boost creep problem

Doug71zt

I just ran at test-n-tune last night and it was the first time that I had really floored the car with the new turbo (T3 stage3 .63/T04E60 running turbonetics internal WG) With the manual boost controller set at 7PSI - it briefly pauses there while on its way off the end of the gauge (20 psi). Yikes! No knocking or anything but still stock pistons. :shock::shock: I had the internal gate bored oversize when the turbo was built. I think its .875". Am I going to have to go external on this turbo or what? The speed it shoots to 20 psi at 4500-5000 rpm makes me think that it needs a whole lot more bypass. I have a new GNX dual port actuator on this thing and everything is working right. 7 PSI and the arm goes full travel. I guess that 3" downpipe and straighthru exhaust means no real backpressure to work against. I ran 12 passes with the wastegate wide open and modulating the throttle. Not too much area under the boost curve like that - but still ran a somewhat consistant 12.7 at 107. My 60ft is around 1.8x with drag radials. Apart from the boost creep - everything worked great. How big can I go with this WG hole? Anyone with personal experience with a similar WG setup?

Thanks - Doug

That is a pretty big turbo to keep at 7 psi. I had that problem with mine, except I have the Stage V turbine. What I found out was I needed more tension on the actuator rod.

If you are using a dual port WG actuator, you can use a dial a boost to introduce boost to the lower port, and that will help control it. I believe the boost control works opposite of the scale at that set-up.

I pulled my actuator off and threaded the rod further in the hopes I could get better control that way, but haven't driven the car to see. I guess I would need Jeff to say if he did anything to the WG hole, I have no idea.

I have gotten as high as 24 psi with mine fooling around, so be careful. It has been kind of inconsistent, so I am working on that to see what I can do.

Try raising your boost to about 13 or 14 psi and see if you have less creep. You are bleeding a lot of exhaust gas to keep the turbo at 7 psi.

Adjusted the MBC to 15 psi and got a real surprise. It bounces from 15 to 20 about 4500 rpm and starts compressor stalling and chuffing as the computer cuts fuel at 22 psi. I could control it with the throttle when it was wastegated to 7 psi as there was enough time to modulate the throttle but not when it gets wound up to 15. A 1.5 inch flapper valve is on the way. The hole will be bored up to 1.25". That should cure the creep problem as the hole is double the area of the current one.

That is a pretty big turbo to keep at 7 psi. I had that problem with mine' date=' except I have the Stage V turbine. What I found out was I needed more tension on the actuator rod.

<snip>

Try raising your boost to about 13 or 14 psi and see if you have less creep. You are bleeding a lot of exhaust gas to keep the turbo at 7 psi.[/quote']

Sorry but this is not accurate. The amount of exhaust flow that needs to be bypassed increases with boost, simply because the ratio of the total exhaust flow to the amount of exhaust flow required to make a given boost increases non-linearly with boost pressure. It's generally much easier to hold boost at 7 psi than it is at 15psi, because there is less total flow at 7psi.