HybridZ

turbo car passing smog

Guest Damn Cracker

Guest Damn Cracker

i heard from my friend's mechanic that if you take a turocharged car, and set the boost down way low, that it would easily pass smog, almost garunteed. This sounds like a bunch of dookie to me, but I could be wrong. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Guest Tim78zt

True, Cody! when my car was tested they never revved higher than 2200rpm. And never boosted the turbo. Emissions has everything to do with Air/Fuel ratio from idle to 2000rpm under load. I'd say vacuum or lack of it will greatly affect emissions though.

Tim78zt

Maryland puts non OBDII cars on treadmills and runs them at speed. I could see that triggering boost. OBDII cars only get the error codes read and get to skip the treadmill. Thus for OBDII cars adjusting the turbos won't do squat.

But don't know why a turbo car with low boost would be any more capable of passing emissions than a N/A car. I mean, turn off the boost and that is essentially what you are left with.

Now if you were to replumb the turbo so the excess boost is pumped into the exhaust, then you would be pumping so much clean air into the exhaust that the fart sniffer will read very low levels. Your only problem then might be the visual inspection.

Remember, the solution to polution is dilution.