HybridZ

Rust Pits

Guest gtmattz

Guest gtmattz

What is the best method of removing the rust pits from this part? there are some other parts of the car that have this type of pitting as well.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1142

(The hole is going to get patched, in fact there is a very large area that I am going to have to cut out, the back is very severely rusted)

Trust me on this one: Get a new part. You will spend countless hours doing metal work and filler sanding to get it straight again after you weld. That cowl panel is very thin and flimsy, and because it's not flat (follows the raised lines of the hood) it is very difficult to sand, because you can't put any pressure on it. If it is not the exact same shape as it was before you worked it, it may look great, until you fit it back to the car, then it will be buckled.

Oh, and did I mention...get a new (or good used) part!! :D:D

Tim

Guest gtmattz

Thanks, this leads into another question tho. Is there anywhere that I can find a new piece (metal or fiberglass) other than hitting junkyards?

Guest JAMIE T

I sand blasted mine with a fine media. I didn't have any holes in mine though. If you 've got holes, you could fill them with tiger hair body filler AFTER Sand blasting. I also brushed Ospho on the previously rusted areas(following the directions on the jug). You CAN use body filler to fill pits, as long as you are sure the rust is gone. I have been doing exterior rust/body work on my '73 for the past few weeks. I replaced a few panels with patch panels from VB. I formed some panels out of 20G sheet steel. When the rust wasn't bad and only had pitting, I used a wire wheel on an angle grinder, then did the ospho wash down, and prep, then used body filler to smooth the area out.

Guest gtmattz

it would make sense to wait to finish the part after i have the hood back on the car, I am going with a FG hood anyway, so I suppose ill just squirt the part with a quick coat of primer to prevent rust till i get to the point where i am reassembling the car.