HybridZ

Shipping damage compensation (need advice)

74Adam

I posted this on zcar.com but wanted to some ideas here as well:

I'll try to keep this short: I purchased front and rear euro spec bumpers from Charlie Osbourne (Zedd findings in Canada). He had the rear in stock but had to order the front from Japan. Cost, just under a grand. I have done business with Charlie many times. Great guy, very helpful, even sends me parts before I get my check in the mail (which takes awhile to get there). Well, after three months they finally came in. The rears look great but something happened to the front. It is twisted, bad. If you look down the length of the bumper and measure the angle of difference between the ends it would be between 25 and 30 degrees (I don't know if I am describing that very well?). What is odd is that it is a gradually deformation. There is no specific "yield" or "kink" point in the metal. If it were only deformed a little I could assume that it would straighten out when it is bolted onto the car, but this is just too much. So now I am looking forward to doing battle with UPS. I have never had this kind of problem before. Of all the piddly crap I have ordered that there was a plentiful supply of, this happens to a part that could very possibly have been the last in stock. So, I need advice from people that have gone through this. What do I do? What can I expect? The delivery guy left the parts on my front porch when I was at work so I didn't have a chance to inspect the parts in his presence. Will they try to pin the blame on me to avoid compensation? Sorry if this is as much of a rant as anything else, but if any of you can offer some wisdom, it would be really appreciated.

thanks,

-Adam

When UPS dropped off my wheels, there was gouges in the rim of the wheel. I was not home when they dropped them off. When I got home later that day, I called the company that I got the wheels from and told them what happened. He contacted UPS and they sent out a truck to pick my wheels up the next day. They then had some UPS insurance guy check out the damage and he determined that the damage was done during shipping. UPS bought me new wheels and I had them within a week.

Give Charlie Osbourne a call and tell him what happened. I'm thinking you might have to go through the same scenerio.

!M!

Thanks Matt. I have been in contact with Charlie trying to decide what to do. Up to now, I have been under the impression that the onus is on me to fight UPS (I have never had this happen before!), so Charlie thinks that I am going to handle it myself. I'll call him tommorrow and work it out. He is a good guy, I'm sure he will do what is right. My concern is, DID I GET THE LAST BUMPER?!

What I had happen to me one time is I had a Diff sent to me and the axels were damaged, so I called ups and they said that the shipper has to file the claim also, so we did this and aprox three weeks later the check went to him, then he sent it to me.

The shipper gets paid and if he's honest enough, he'll pay you. I think this is a bunch of BS, but thats the way it went with my damaged goods sent via ups from a "private party".

A problem with damage sent from a buisness may be handled differnt....

Good luck either way. :burnout:

My wife is an ebay addict and as such is on a first name basis with the UPS guy.

We have had damaged goods delievered and UPS has always made good. Make sure you save as much of the original package as possible. They do pay the shipper because that is the one they have the contract with. A little scary with an ebay shipment, but sounds like you will have no problems.