HybridZ

header question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well the rain has maybe finally come to an end and I will get back to my project. Here's my next problem to solve. My SS block hugger headers interfere with the steering shaft of the 280zx. They were designed for the 240 steering arrangment. Is there a commercially available header designed for an sbc in a 240zx (of known to fit)? I thought HH had one but I just called them and was told they didn't make one. Do I need to get a custom header made for the driver side.

- SoM

Guest cbrunberg

Hey som,

Have you looked at the JTR (jags that run website?) headers :? also I saw a shortie header in the summit catolog with a flat collector. All 4 tubes came together side by side. It may fit. Maybe someone online has tries them. Mine are custom made shorties. They were originally in a V-8 Luv P/U and just happen to work in the Z with a little modification.

Carl

Well the rain has maybe finally come to an end and I will get back to my project. Here's my next problem to solve. My SS block hugger headers interfere with the steering shaft of the 280zx. They were designed for the 240 steering arrangment. Is there a commercially available header designed for an sbc in a 240zx (of known to fit)? I thought HH had one but I just called them and was told they didn't make one. Do I need to get a custom header made for the driver side.

- SoM

Ok first of all what do you mean by 240ZX? Do you mean you have a 280ZX? If you have a 280ZX then yes you will need a custom header for the drivers side or use a LT1(93'-97') manifold. Greimann(another 280ZX v-8 member)is using a manifold from a late 70's chevy car of some sort(I think), I cant remember what kind of car it was though???

Do a search on "280ZX headers" and you should find the information you are looking for.

Guy

Guest Anonymous

80LT1 (cool avatar), yeah silly me, that's a typo. It's an 83 280zx. I did a search but didn't find anything definitive. I looked at that Ross C post. I've actually considered doing something like that. Right now I have the steering shaft removed and I think I'll mount the header loosely and try tilting it to see if I can get it to clear the shaft location. Eventually I may have to give up and drop the sbc into my '72...

Thanks all, SoM

Yeah dont give up on this just because of something small like this! There are complications in any type of engine swap. Atleast with yours there is an easy solution, unlike Greimann and me with the big'ol gear box in the way and no easy/cheap solution.

Guy

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I know. I'm just frustrated because I'm so far over budget. What's the deal with the steering box? I have R&P steering with a little box down by the frame cross member and a thin shaft running through just above where the collector should be. Your picture at 280zx-lt1.com shows something really ugly up near the exhaust ports. You don't have R&P steering for some reason?

- SoM

Glad I read your post SoM. From the input of you, Guy and Greimann. If I ever blow up my 280zxT engine or tranny for that matter. I've got hope to install my 1996 Lt1/T56 (sitting on the floor of my shop) in my 83 z. Sounds as if I can still use drivers side exaust manifold (off 96 lt1)that could possibly clear my rack and pinion power steering (of course without that big Cat tied directly to drivers side manifold.

I would hate to do it but all the work I put in my zxt interior/frame etc. its nice to know there can be life after turbo/engine/tranny malfunction.....

Now if I got your input right. What if you guys used the power steering setup on the later (83) z. Out of a salvage yard and installed it on your earlier zx's. Would that do the trick?

I think its a possibility but finding all the parts neccesary might be a problem(atleast for me, I live in wiscosin and there sure arent too many Z/ZX's laying around for me to pick through). I personally havent looked into that so I dont know if it is possible or not. I would image that it is.

I think I will just wait and save up some money and have a header made(or maybe make one myself and have someone who has a TIG welder, weld it up) then send it into have it coated! I dont think making a header for that side would be to hard but I think it would be time conssuming.

Maybe next winter I will put that on my "TO-DO LIST"???

Guy

Guest greimann

Now if I got your input right. What if you guys used the power steering setup on the later (83) z. Out of a salvage yard and installed it on your earlier zx's. Would that do the trick?

There are some difficulties with that too. Not only do you need the rack, but the crossmember too. It has mounting tabs on it for the rack that the steering box cars don't have. The rack takes up valuable room that puts the engine a litttle higher, which for carb or TBI guys like me, makes for hood clearance problems. LT1 style I'm sure would fit better.

• 2 years later...
Guest 9inchZX

- SoM

Dude I'm in the process of building a big buget race car and we are using Late 60's early 70's Corvette 327 stock manifolds with absolutly NO modification needed period. Only thing is to find them, depending where u get them they can be pricey b/c they are from a CORVETTE.

Hope I could Help man,

Josh

On my 83 ZX with SBC I used a cast exhaust man. from a Camaro or Caprice, the drivers side points striaght down between spark plugs 5 and 7 and still interfered with the steering shaft. Cut the straight section pointing down off (about an inch above the O2 sensor) and ground a rear facing angle into it. Tack weld to check fit and then get the manifold hot (in an oven) and MIG weld about three passes. Touch up the welds and paint with VHT.