HybridZ

Another newb question here, regarding turbos and ping

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I'm just wondering, I know ping in ANY engine is a big deal and not something to just ignore, but why is it so much more to worry about with a turbo engine? Part of the reason I"m asking, is after I put my turbo engine in, and put on the adjustable fpr (now also most likely a better fuel pump too), i was gonna try bumping up the boost and fuel pressure simultaneously, see if I could reach a little past 10psi. I figured I'd nudge it up just a little bit at a time til I got any sign of ping.... I've done this kind of thing tuning things like timing and fuel mixture on my N/A SU'd engine, and never worried if it pinged once or twice, that was just my sign to back off a little, but I'm worried if it even pings once on this turbo that it might cause serious damage. Is checking my boost limit in this way a bad idea, or can it handle one knock or two while I see what my limit is?

Also, doesn't an '81 ZXT have a knock sensor, that adjusts timing if it pings? Do they work well or are they not to be trusted?

and my last question, would upgrading to a better fuel pump, but running thru the stock fpr, increase my fuel pressure at all (in effect richening up the mixture)? I ask because I see a lot of people seem to recommend the better fuel pump before recommending the fpr, and some just recommend the pump alone be upgraded, to be able to increase the boost a little past 10psi?

Deonation is a big deal in turbo engines because of the power level involved, and amount of energy in the cylinder. Potential for damage is higher as a result. I don't recommend upping boost until it pings, rather give the car a good tune-up, and install an EGT. Then you can see the exhaust temperature rise, and you will be able to set an upper limit on your boost without having to detonate and possibly damage your engine.

I've done this without a knock sensor; I have the 280ZX knock sensor and a Z31 ECU that will not work together, possibly because the Z31 engine is hydraulic, and quieter.

The stock FPR flows enough to handle the Bosch pumps without rising fuel pressure at idle; I'm assuming most of the moderately flowing pumps will not do this - the 5/16" return is adequate for significant fuel flow.

Guest bastaad525

ahhh... okay well, guess I'll leave it at 10psi. I've also been looking at either EGT or AFR sensors, but right now my budget is limited..... too bad the dyno I went to last shut down and I've yet to find another good one nearby. About the fuel pump, funny you mention the Bosch because that's the one I've been looking at, but my question was, will just installing the Bosch pump cause the fuel pressure to increase at the injectors? At first I was going to just get an adj. FPR and raise the fuel pressure up a little (like 2psi) but a lot of people recommend the pump first, if I get the pump but stay with the stock FPR, will I still get an increase in fuel pressure? More importantly, everyone whom I've read has run 10psi on a mostly stock setup, has said that it would run lean at the top end, which is what I"m trying to avoid, would the Bosch pump solve this problem?