HybridZ

75 280z Rear End / Quaife swap

EvilRufusKay

Hello All!

I am new to your forum and I already have many thanks for all the good info on this site. I am thinking of getting a Quaife for my Z but am not sure about what rear end I currently have. Does anyone know how I might figure this out without pulling it? Can I pull the cover and measure the ring? Is there a way to tell through the VIN? The 350 in my Z currently creates the dreded one-wheel-peel. This must be fixed!! I need both feet on the ground so to speak. Thanks to greimann for starting me off in the right direction.

Guest Anonymous

If it's a Z, it's most likely an r180. I don't believe the Z's ever had r200's. The r200 came in the later 280zx's, Z31 300zx's, and 240sx's. The rearend should say what it is somewhere on it. There's also the r230, which came on Q45's and I think the Z32 300zx's; they're suppose to be a bit beefier. Anyways, I think the Quaife LSD requires an r200, but I'm not sure.

That's a really expensive LSD, though. But, if you're willing to fork out the cash for some quality parts, then more power to'ya and good luck...

Guest Anonymous

My mistake; Quaife makes both 110mm ring and 115mm ring r180 LSD's, as well as r200 LSD's. Also, they're not as expensive as I thought.

Are you asking how to tell the difference between an r180/r200/r230, or the difference between an r180 with a 110/115mm ring?

I thought R200 had 200mm rings and the R180 had 180mm rings? So why would they have 110mm/115mm rings? Cause a 110mm ring is only 4.5" :shock: but a 180mm ring is 7.3" and 7.3" is more like the size they are...right?

Guy

Guest Anonymous

I don't know; I've never had one of those rearends apart. But Quaife lists the r180's as having either 110 or 115mm ring gears, and I can only assume they know what they're talking about.

Guy, you're correct. R200=200mm R180=180mm That's why having a R230 is like having a 9" back there :wink:

Datsun_Dude and Evil, read this post for answers to what rearend came in what. But remember, that's the way the Z's came stock.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20595&highlight=

Here's a picture to determine if it's a R200 or R180

R180-R200.jpg

To know what ratio you have for sure, you need to remove the rear cover. Then you will see some numbers stamped on the ring gear. You want to divide the larger number by the smaller number and you will get the ratio, like this, 37:10 would be a 3.70 and 39:11 would be a 3.54.

!M!

Guest Anonymous

Cool...

I didn't know the 280Z's had r200, though, so that's a nice piece of info.

Also I'd like to point out that while all r180's have a diameter of 180mm, some have an inner diameter of 110mm, others 115mm giving them narrower ring gears.

And, on a side note, Couldn't they sand-blast those things before they took that picture... Crimeny!

WOW !! :shock: I knew when I joined this group that I would gain a bunch of useful info but the ammount that has come accross has been incredible and very useful. Thanks a bunch guys. I will be looking at the rear end tonite and will post what I find. By looking at those pics I think it is a 200.