HybridZ

starion fun

fl327

just went halves at the auction and picked up two starions for $280!!!!

they have a bad reputation, as do all turbo cars at the auction, because either the turbo is gone, headgasket is blown, or both. so nobody bids,

this has worked out well for me in the past, i once picked up a turbo 2 rx7 with a jdm tt swap in it for around 400, and drove it out of the auction sideways!

well, one starion had a blown headgasket, so i pulled the rims off of it and sold the intercooler-and got my money back!!!

the second one runs very good, the tires on the rims of the other one were very good so we swapped them out and sold the other set for 200-and made back our money entirely and actually made a couple bucks already!!

so what do we do us being us? well, when we had the rx7 we found it loved running 22psi, so we say to us-well, why not the starion?

adjusted the timing a bit and the advance on the distributor, and turned the boost up to god knows where, boost guage on stock dash will pin at idel, so we know we cant trust it. so we go and take it for a spin, we are boosting at least 15psi in the ghetto, with fireworks being thrown at us and what not, and the thing just runs like a raped ape, feels like a mid high 14, and the car has a stock LSD!!!

car runs like a champ, no pinging, and not running hot, but we werent holding max boost longer than 4 seconds at a time though.

we took it to a secluded spot by the railroad tracks and proceeded to whip about a hundred doughnuts in this thing, man this thing just keeps throwing out the love!!! im gotta get a lsd rear end for my car, we took a few hot turns in this thing and the feeling of control is just there, hard to explain but its just there. we might run this car at the drift competition tommorow at candlestick, watch out!!!

I picked up a neihbors 88 Conquest last month for a spare car to drive with only 57,000 easy miles on it. I also love the way the car handles. I twisted the W/G rod a bit to up the boost (only raised it by 3 lbs though) and it runs ok I guess... I'm just spoiled after driving my beast... whip2.gif

Len what kind of auctions do you go to, they must be good ones. Me and my father go to insurance auto auctions, and the best things that have gone through there were a supra tt, a 300ztt that went for 1500, and a nsx going through this week, all recked of course but fixable.

we go to your typical auctions, where peoples cars got towed for whatever reason and they are getting sold to basically pay for towing costs. i dont have the money to buy some of the cool stuff, saw a clean legend go for 1200, grand nationals usually get 2k plus-lot of demand.

its a crapshoot whether or not the car runs or not, so i shoot for the cars i can get my money back on whether it runs or not. nobody bids on the turbo cars, they have the worst rep for blown stuff ever. san franciscans are notorious for ditching cars when they stop running, sometimes for some real dumb reasons, like a dead alternator or battery, downtown living is expensive as heck.

my boss has a dealer liscence, so he can roll into the auto inusrance and dealer auctions, he grabbed a few gems too, he picked up a clean big body Lexus Ls400 with 131k for 9.5k, a freakin super deal if you ask me.

ive gotten lucky a few times and really unlucky a couple times. i also have a buddy that owns his own tow yard, and get first dibs on cars there.