HybridZ

Heat shielding on the early Z (with turbo)

I'm curious to know what people are running for heat shielding around their turbo in their early Z. Has anyone run for any length of time without any head shielding between the brake system and the exhaust/turbo? Has there been problems as a result? What about the steering coupler and TC rod bushings? Any problem with the rubber and the heat together?

Just trying to figure out whether I have to do this right away or if I can take some time and make it pretty. ;)

hey, i ran for a few months without any heat shielding whatsoever, even even with the none webbed N42 intake. Didn't expirience any problems, but it was only for a couple of months so wasn't really long enough to show anything. Since then i have wrapped my downpipe and built a heat shield to protect the brake compnents.

I made the heat sheat out of two sheets of Very thin stamped stainless steel with a ceramic fiber in the middle. It not to big since i made it out of scraps from the race shop but it does it's job.

Haven't decided on how to do the intake becuase I shaved the mounting points for the stock shield (dumb). Any how i'll post some pics on my page later tonight:

http://www.geocities.com/datsun260zt/heatshield

Well, I took my car to Reynolds, GA (I guess I drove about 300miles) beginning of this year and I did notice some brake loss with just the factory heat shields. Then I added high silica blankets on my factory shield and it seems to help some. But I've not had any problems on the street.

You don't have a formula for that in your SAE handbook?

Well of course I do! Its on the same page that tells you how many gigaleagues are in a terrafathom... duh.

Hmm, ceramic and stainless looks and sounds awesome, but I was thinking just a simple steel shield. From the sounds of things I can leave it for a couple of weeks and concentrate on other things a bit. (like tuning!)

Guest jt240z

How effective are the ceramic coatings like Jet Hot in keeping the heat where it belongs? My plan was to have the exhaust manifold, turbine housing and down pipe coated on my next turbo 240Z project.

I added the brake shields from a 280 onto my 240 to help keep the heat off the brake lines. So far no brake fluid boil during lapping days in Georgia. I am runing 600+ degree dry boil brake fluid.