HybridZ

Wipers are shorting out ....... :-(

80LS1T

Ok I have no idea how this happen but my wipers wont work because there is a short in the wiper electrical system. How do I know this? Well my 15A fuse keeps blowing because there is 40 amps in the circuit! :cry: I have no idea how this happen...all I did was unplug a few things when I took my dash out and I upplugged the connection at the wiper motor? I must have done something though! Maybe I pinched a wire somewhere a long the line?

Ok someone witha ZX needs to do me a favor......under the drivers side kickpanel(below the steering column) there is the "intermitant wiper amplifier" there is 2 blue wires that come off the harness but they dont seem to go anywhere? Can someone tell me if they are connected to anything?

So how should I go about finding the short? I had all the connectors for the wipers unplugged but it still blew the fuse!

Thanks!

Guy

Guest greimann

The connector with the blue/black, blue/red wires is for a courtesy lamp in the door panel. If you don't have this option, then fugetaboutit.

The wiper circut not only powers the windshield wipers, but also the rear wiper, washer pumps and the clock! Check all of these wires / connectors as well. It might not hurt to also pull the access plate off of the wiper motor to see of the contacts are corroded from water intrusion from washing the engine compartment. Good Luck!

Well I didnt tap into the clock, I didnt think I did but I just wasnt positive!

Now what I do know is that when I disconnect the accesory relay(this is behind the glove box) it doesnt blow the fuse. However with out this connected my wipers dont work! How can I test that relay? Or the circit that is going to that relay?

Guy

Well I figured out that when I dont have the dash touching the frame of the car the wipers work. I have some stuff grounded to the dash board so maybe if I ground those to some grounds that were originally there my wipers will work? :?

Also when I do get them to work...they stay at the top when I turn them off instead of at the bottom of the windsheild? :shock::( What does that sound like it could be?

Come on guys I know some of you are wiring gurus!! :wink:

Guy

Ok now Im thinking about just forgeting the Datsun wiring and going with my own relay setup! I just cant figure out were I went wrong. I plan to rewire the whole car this winter when I have it in the garage for 5 months. I want to do something like Tim240Z did and wire everything up to relays and updated fuses(not those glass tube ones). Cause I'll admit it.....right now my cars wiring is a mess :oops: Thats what I get for rushing the job! Now I get to go all over it again! Eeee I guess I cant do everything right, it wouldnt be fun( :roll: ) if everything went smooth, yeah right!

Guy

Guest greimann

Not so fast Guy! First of all, make absolutely sure that you have resolved that none of the power wires that branch from the wiper fuse are shorted. That means The wiper motor (front and back), washer pump motors, (front and back) and any other traces that branch from there. Get out the magnifying glass and really study your wiring diagram.

The accessory relay is not your problem. The wipers need a proper circuit to complete the cycle and park at the bottom.

A ZX is vastly more complex electrically than a Z. Do you really want to reconstruct every wire and circuit that is shown in the wiring diagram. I wouldn't !!!

Ok I have located the problem...it has something to do with the rear wiper. Im not worried about that working anyways because when I do the body on my car ITS COMING OFF! :D I have a rear louver anyways so it doesnt really do much anyways.

Now heres the problem...my windshield wipers are still stopping at the top! :cry: What the heck is going on here?

Guy

Guest GreenZ

I know what you are going through with your car. I have an 83 zxt that kept blowing the fuse. I checked the wiper switch and determined it to be shorting out at the switch contacts, that is the power in wire would connect to the ground wire. I traced the wire in the wiper motor itself and disconnected it there (I can't remember the color) and the wipers work now on high and low, but must be shut off when they are at the bottom of the windshield. I even hooked up a spare wiper motor before looking at the switch and it still blew the fuse. I believe it is the switch that is defective, but I don't want to spend the big $$$ to replace it jsut to find out it was something else that is bad. Good luck, let me know what you find out.

Well I finally figured out what happen with my wipers staying in the up position when i turned them off....Back in January when I painted the engine bay I took the wiper motor off the car.... then when I connected it to the wiper arm inside the cowl infront of the windsheild I connected it onto it 180 degrees off :oops::oops: I am so happy that that's all it was! :D:D It always seems to be the little things that throw me off! I always think its something major(wiring problem in this case). I did learn something though, always think of the little stuff first! :D

Guy