HybridZ

Yet another cooling problem...

strotter

I just recently swapped a Taurus 2-speed fan in to replace a GM unit I had previously installed. This Taurus thing blows more air before breakfast than the GM one did all day, and is great at low speed or at idle - but it has introduced a new problem. The Taurus shroud is "closed" around the fan, entirely blocking the radiator except right behind the blades. Great for low speeds, but I'm seeing an *increase* in temps at highway speeds. Because I've made no other changes to the cooling system, I'm blaming this on the shroud. So, which would be a better course of action, in your opinions:

1) find a lower-temperature thermal switch, to kick this thing on at, say, 200 degrees (now it's at 225, I think, the original Chevy thermal switch); *OR*

2) just cut out openings in the radiator shroud allowing air to pass more freely at highway speeds, but possibly affecting low speed cooling.

Try 1 first. If you start cutting holes in your shrouding you'll just kill the airflow at idle.

With some experimentation with spring rates you could try some hinged doors on the shroud so that they stayed closed at idle, but opened up as speeds increased.

Guest greimann

I have evidence that my Taurus fan freewheels at speed, so if the air comes through, it does so with some velocity. I agree with Mr. Powers, make sure that there are no gaps between the radiator support part of the car and radiator. This ensures that you get the most from the ram air effect. If that doesn't do it, you can cut out vents on the shroud and cover them with flaps of rubber. When the fan is on, the rubber flaps are drawn closed because of negative pressure inside the shroud. If the fan is off, then they will flap open if there is ram air coming through the radiator creating positive pressure inside the shroud.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Turbo Thunderbird fan set. The fan motors have older long shaft motors, but the shroud was interesting because it had two "flappers" in the closed area. They would blow open at speed and then be sucked closed when the fans were on at around town speeds. How about that - Ford actually did have a better idea.

Billthumb_Zdone-rightside.jpg