HybridZ

my lights won't turn off

Guest 72datsun240z

Guest 72datsun240z

hey i just got a badass deal on a 73 z with L28 and 5-speed for $300 but there is couple electrical problems i can take care of most of them myself but i just don't understand y my lights won't turn off the momment i hook it up to my battery they are on and they won't shut off until i disconnect the batter thanx for any help

The stock headlight wiring is goofy. I think power is always applied to the headlights while the head light switch interrupts the grounds. Thus any chaffed wiring shorting out to the chassis (or a bad switch) will cause this problem. A bigger worry was the previous owner doing something stupid.

Don't bother trouble shooting the stock wiring. Goto Pete Paraska's site and put in his headlight relay set up. His wiring diagrams are pretty clear and will make your headlights work much better.

Of course there is a chance that something is shorted out, but I would think you will have a better chance of fixing such a short in the process of wiring Pete's relays

Guest 72datsun240z

well the guy that had it before me was an idiot and he did mess wiring and i'm afraid that the light switch went out so he just live wired the headlights could you give me a link for that website