HybridZ

Convert T04E wheel to 60-1

jgkurz

Hi all,

After talking with some folks and reading this forum it seems that the T04B 60-1 wheel would be a better fit for my car. I've heard it's possible, even suggested that the 60-1 wheel be installed in a T04E housing. My turbine is a stage 5/10 blade .63 T3. Can I get a response from people who have done this upgrade? I'm looking for feedback on driving impressions and recomendations for a turbo shop that's done this conversion.

Thanks,

Hey John,

I have a 60-1 in a TO4e housing , with probably a little bigger turbine wheel than yours (P-trimT4) in a T3 turbine housing.

I've been very happy with this turbo - I have 12psi by 3200 RPM, with big power made after that.

I previously had a T3/t4b (stage III .63 turbine with Super V compressor) that spooled instantly but pooped out at the high end.

I would recommend you go to the 60-1. You'll like it.

Mine is a 50 A/R housing but it has been machined. I believe the net works out to around 60.

I do use a spacer, but have heard of several people who grind the exhaust manifold for clearance.

IMO the spacer is the best solution because it gives a bigger air gap.

I don't think that there will be any intercooler tube fit issues with this small a spacer - the flexible hose connections easily have that much play.

Rick, For me the spacer doesn't present a problem for my IC but for my Scottie downpipe. If I move the turbo out 1/4 inch then I will probably have interference problems in the transmission tunnel. My T-5 is going in now so I'll be able to check the fit soon.

Who did the custom work on your turbo?

I have the 60trim T04E with a stage V turbine, and it is a 60 AR compressor housing, and I used a spacer. I had no problems with the intercooler fitment, and I am considering replacing the compressor wheel with a 60-1. It is a great wheel. I have full boost by 3200 rpms, very good response, and lots of power up top.

Yes, and it is a sweet turbo.

I think I need more clutch to be honest, but time will tell.

Let me give you some perspective. The 60 trim flows about 50 pounds per minute. if I remember correctly, the 60-1 flows 70, so that is a pretty big jump. There is nothing in between that I have seen yet, other then perhaps the new garrett wheels.

I like the 60 trim, and have yet to reach its limits that I can tell. I just wish I had all this stuff in a 240z.