HybridZ

CAD drawings

Guest Island Son

Guest Island Son

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the cad programs for designing or drawing a 3d image of an object, i'm trying to draw a hatch design i would like to build, i can see it a clear as day in my mind but man i can't get it on paper, my drawing leaves allot to be desired, drafting i can handle but this 3d stuff is a killer...

Any idea's or information on this would great.

Thanks

Sonny

Easiest to use, cheap and powerful... SolidWorks. By cheap I mean only a few thousand dollars a seat. :P

However, it will take you a while before you are into compound curves, etc. There are some examples in the project pages of my website if you are interested.

Solidworks is pretty good, I like SolidEdge best. I've only played around with I.D.E.A.S. a little, but it worked pretty well. The big problem with most of those is the price (a couple grand per seat is considered cheap).

If you're on a budget you might check out Alias Wavefront's Studio (cad accurate design program), or Maya (more artistic focus). Both are very powerful. Studio was used for the ferrari 360 modena, Maya for just about every movie since toy story. Best of all is that they can be had for free (as long as you don't try to sell anything designed in it, and don't mind working with a watermark on the screen).

http://www.aliaswavefront.com

I should note that it isn't too hard to get an illegal version of solidworks on most file sharing programs. I don't encourage it, but if you aren't making money by using their product I'm of the opinion that its just a "trial". ;)

Guest blue73z

Another option is to have someone who is enrolled in college buy a copy of the student version for you. Most all of the CAD packages offer a student version for $200-$500. The student versions usually have most everything the regular versions do except the printed drawings have a disclaimer printed across them ("Student Version not for commercial use" or something like that usually).

Guest Island Son

Thx Guys.

Drax240z i like your idea best, seeing as i've never used one before i don't like the idea of putting out that kind of money for what could be a one time thing.

I think i'll look around and see what i can find, if someone should oh i don't know happen accross such a thing they could pm me and let me know where i could find it.... :wink:

Thx

Sonny