HybridZ

Haltech Help Needed

Hello

I have a question for those who are running haltech e6k's or any others with usefull information. I have a 83zxt that i have put an e6k in. I'm having problems with get a pulse from the optical sensor. I have put in an 300zx chopper wheel so that i can use the nissan trigger set up but still need help. The question that i have is what wires need to be used. at the time i have the grey with red for power and the blk as ground. I have tried both the green/yellow and green/black but still no signal. The program also wants numbers for home teeth and offset tooth. If you can help with any of this or even just a base setup it would be very helpfull.

Guest jt240z

You use 4 wires from the E6K trigger harness(J16) and joint them with the 4 wires coming from the CAS in the distributor. The wires connect as follows:

Distributor --> E6K Loom

Black --> BLK(GND)

Black/White --> GRY/RED(13.8V INJ)

Green/Yellow --> GRN (HOME)

Green/Black --> YEL (TRIGGER)

Make sure that the 300ZX wheel is mounted with the proper side up. The wheel can be reversed(upside down), but will not provide you with the correct trigger. The best way to make sure of this, is to mark the top of the wheel with a sharpe pen before you remove it from the 300ZX/Maxima distributor and make sure the same side is mounted up in the 280ZX distributor.

Once you've done that you need to setup your ignition settings for the following:

Trigger Input = Hall Effect

Trigger Edge = Rising

Home Input = Hall Effect

Home Edge = Rising

Home Window Teeth = 9

Nissan Tooth offset = 1

Trigger Type = Nissan

If you mount the distributor so that it is rotated against the screw stops all the way clockwise you should be able to get the trigger angle value close at:

Trigger Angle = 43

This gives you the most timing advance available.

Once you get the engine to fire, you can use the timing lock feature and verify your timing. Lock the timing to say 10* BTC and verify that your timing mark is sitting on the 10* mark. If not, then adjust the Trigger Angle value + or - until it is correct. With the timing lock on, the timing will not vary based on any ignition map settings. Remember to turn off the timing lock when you start to tune.

The rest of the settings depends on what type of coils you're using and wether you're using the distributor or a waste spark setup, but the above should get your trigger working. Once installed and setup, you should see a RPM reading when cranking the engine over of around 180.

Hope this helps

thankyou jt240z

at this time i plan one using my msd 6a single coil set up.

with simi sequential injection if you have a base set up map i could use it would be great. I understand that date is different but it is already programed for load. If not you have already helped more then enough.

thanks again :)

Guest jt240z

Sorry, I don't have a map that will work for a semi-sequential setup and MSD 6a.

Just curious as to why you're doing the semi-sequential instead of the improved ignition. Semi-sequential, from what I've researched, does not offer you a alot, but an improved waste spark setup would give you some advantages at higher RPMS.

I understand that date is different but it is already programed for load.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What is "date"? What do you mean that it is "programed for load"?

well i changed my trigger

the set up with the optical wouldn't trigger anything.

i double checked the wiring a few times. I instead have a 77 magnetic trigger and i have recieved the 180 rpm that you talked about

now it dosen't turn on. I need to check the timing with the starter and that way i'll have my trigger point btdc. I just didn't want to do the wastspark at this time i really only want to get it going. if you have any other tips on what to do to get it to start all information is welcome