HybridZ

To shroud or not to shroud?

Guest butlersZ

Having one done right will greatly add to the cooling efficiency of the fan, by allowing (or forcing) it to draw air through the radiator. Without a shroud, much of the air the fan sucks through comes from the engine side of the radiator: ie: not through the radiator. Add a shroud and make sure it is sealed well to the radiator, and you will see substantial cooling improvements.

Guest MistressMotorsports

Agreed. In addition, closing off the other holes in the core support will also force more air through the radiator.

Mike

I never thought of it that way! :idea:

What do you think would happen if the fan was changed to something like the new metal kind for racing. Mine is the white (plastic) fan with, I think, 8 blades. It seems as long as you have the proper shroud, about any kind of fan shhould work. I would like to quiet the fan noise down some.

Switching to a metal fan won't gain you much. I suspect you wouldn't notice any difference at all.

If you want something quiet, then take a look at fans with blades that are curved as opposed to straight. This is done to quiet the fans down, but they move less air than a straight-bladed model of the same specs. Most OEM fans have some curve to the blades now, but compensate for the lost flow rate by spinning faster, and using a very efficient shroud.