HybridZ

DUAL PLANE OR SINGLE PLANE

Grumpy what single plane intake would you suggest for my build? I run the numbers on DD2000 and I get 35 more HP at 6000 and 13 more Torque at 4500RPMS by using a single plane vice dual plane. Also ofcoarse running open exhaust I get even more. I just want to play with the intake at this point so here are the numbers Im running:

350SBC .040 over

12-432-8 Comp Cams HD

Small Tube Headers with DynoMax Mufflers

750DP 04779C

AFR190 Heads

Dual Plane AFR match ported intake

I get 435HP at 6000 and 433TQ at 4500 Dual Plane with mufflers

I get 470HP at 6000 and 446TQ at 4500 Single Plane with mufflers

I get 460HP at 6000 and 451TQ at 4500 Dual Plane with out mufflers

I get 493HP at 6000 and 465TQ at 4500 Single Plane with out mufflers

Do you think the single plane would work better since the car is light and I would have better top end? If so what do you suggest? Victor Junior?

CZ

in most cases the edelbrock rpm air gap dual plane intakes is one of the best choices on the street, and on your combo it may be the best choice but if your looking for MAX top rpm hp the edeldbrock super vic is an outstanding choice, YES YOULL LOOSE SOME low rpm TQ but on a light car that CAN be a slight advantage, as it limits tire smoke off the line and trades more hp in the upper rpm ranges where the tires can handle it better!

Ive had the best results with the EDELBROCK SUPER VIC, in fact after running the weiand team G, and strip dominator, the Victor Jr. #2975,Super Victor #2925 , and power plus hurricane, and holley single plane

THE Super Victor #2925 IS THE BEST RUNNING BY A SLIGHT MARGIN ON ALMOST EVERY ENGINE IVE TESTED IT ON . BTW use a holley or demon 750cfm-850 cfm carb in fact IVE given up even bothering to test any more, I just buy a super vic and 850 carb when Im building a kick butt 383-406 small block with 210cc-220cc heads and a roller cam combo thats ment only for kicking butt with no other design purposes

Rpm air-gap or Weiand stealth dual plain intakes are great. I didn't care so much for the victor jr. as the dual plaines. But some will tell you Victor jr.'s are the greatest.

Mike

ITS not that simple, a good check list to follow is to find the AVERAGE rpm level that your cars gearing keeps the engine in durring aceleration,look at the cylinder head flow and displacement and cam durration . if the cams intake duration is at LEAST 230@.050 lift, if the displacement is at least 350cid,if the compression ratio is at least 10:1, if the cylinder heads flow at least 240@.500 lift and the engine spends MOST of its time between 4000rpm-7000rpm than a single plane intake will in most cases be the better choice, if the combo does not meet most or all of those limits a dual plane intake normally tends to work better!

... if the cams intake duration is at LEAST 230@.050 lift, if the displacement is at least 350cid,if the compression ratio is at least 10:1, if the cylinder heads flow at least 240@.500 lift and the engine spends MOST of its time between 4000rpm-7000rpm[/b'] than a single plane intake will in most cases be the better choice...

That would confirm the combo that Mike D (73BOTIZ) is running on his car: he has a 355 w/11:1 compression, P&P Corvette heads, Team-G single plane, aggressive cam, etc. I figured that the car would bog or something at low rpm or at launch, but his car idles like a kitten purrs (angry kitten anyway) and winds flawlessly like there is no tomorrow. No lack of power down low, so torque is good, and is wicked up to 7000 rpm.

I really thought I would find a flaw, but I didn't. I like that Team G manifold a lot. Hard to believe the Edelbrock intakes are actually better, but a lot of guys say that.

Davy