HybridZ

Opinions please!!!

Ok guys, here's the deal. I've been planning the SBC swap for a few months now and have started getting the parts together and doing the research.

Now for the opinion part. My dad has an 81' 350 in his motorhome that's never been bored or rebuilt. I think he said that the way the motor is set up is only rated at 160 hp. Now, I know that's completely unacceptable (to me anyway), and he'll give it to me for free. Now, my question is... would it be worth the time and effort to rebuild that engine, or should I go crate motor. I've found a crate motor online that's all new parts in a turnkey assy, for around 5 grand (430hp/425tq). How much would it cost to get about the same hp if I just rebuild my dad's motor?

Anybody with any input let me hear it. It'll be greatly appreciated..........

Alot less if it is rebuildable. You can build a good stout 350 for less than 3k. Is the block an already bored block if so how much? Is it a four bolt block?

Mike

A motorhome engine is going to be a heavy-duty engine, small valves and a torque-making low-revving intake manifold & cam. To make it perform, you'll need heads, intake, and whatever fuel system you choose.

The shortblock is probably worth using, but once have it rebuilt, add heads, cam, and a new intake, you'll be getting close to crate-motor prices.

Crate motors tend to be priced a little high, but it'll save you a lot of work and time.

it's really up to what you want to do.

Yeah...I agree. Unless you really want the 'bragging rights' to say "I built it myself", go crate motor! The prices are very reasonable (esp. if you can pick it up yourself, and not pay shipping) and you get a warranty. If you make a mistake putting it together and blow it up.......you'll have to start all over again.

You can use the RV motor as a dummy though! Use it to put in the Z, make all the bracketry and fuel lines, fans etc, then order your crate weight.....that way you won't have a bunch of $$$ tied up sitting in your garage while you're building.

Tim