HybridZ

280ZX performance start

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've had this 1982 280ZX n/a for the past 15-years and it's really just a 2nd car that rarely gets driven. But now I'm toying with the idea of taking it to some performance specialty shop to get a few upgrades for some increase in torque/HP. However, I really know nothing about cars. I'm in CA so whatever I do, it needs to be able to pass smog. How much do the typical street-mods cost? I was thinking maybe sinking $3,000 to $5,000 for some upgrades and am not sure if that'll do much at all. Any tips you guys can provide? Maybe areas I should concentrate on or upgrades that might be pressured onto me that I should avoid? I'd prefer to see gains in quickness and can care less about top speed performance...I'd probably just kill myself. Here's a link to a picture of my baby:

http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/images/280ZX_1982.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I'm leaning towards dropping a turbo engine into my car. I have no clue who can do this in the San Diego area though. I would love if they can add a few extra bells and whistles to the engine as well and I'd be happy with 250 horsepower if that can be achieved. $5,000 would be the max I'd want to pay right now and am not sure if this would cover what I'm looking for.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Damn, I wish I was on your side of the USA. I have a combination and would love to get my hands on that virgin ZX. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

David,

LA isn't too far of a drive for me. I'm in N. County...specifically, Oceanside. It's also a 2nd car, so I can be without it for a bit. If you can provide names and phone numbers I'd appreciate it. My e-mail is barking.pig@cox.net. I don't have the engine yet, so I can't have it done right away (unless the place can easily get hold of a turbo engine.) Before I find an engine, I have to know who can do this and who I think can do it right.

Zcarsheadhurt, why would you want my "virgin" ZX? Do some people prefer the n/a over the turbo? You say you have a combo, does that mean turbo dropped into n/a...if so, did it not go well?

-Steven

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

My combination works well, most of the time I do a turbo and fuel injection package that coveers all bases. I like the virgin car because it is a fresh start, never been tampered with. You can spend your money on the right parts and have lots of fun.

Guest Anonymous

Zcars, I understand now. Yeah, mine is a complete virgin, everything stock. And I think the body is in better condition than most out there and why I want to keep this one but drop a new engine into it. Plus, the wife gives me the go-ahead!

I'd love to hear the details about your turbo/EFI package. I'm two left-hands when it comes to engines and really understand little and the more advice and suggestions I can get from someone familiar with what I want to do, the better. I'd like to get 250HP and think I need upgraded EFI, Intercooler, Upgraded turbo (with adjustable boost hopefully, or running about 13-15 psi), Rising Rate fuel regulator and some work on the exhaust. I've spent a lot of time researching the many sites, but it seems there is no true "menu" of items that is needed or should be done that I can follow which really makes my head spin...there are just so many variations going on out there.

All the help I can get is greatly appreciated. This will get done, but I hope it gets done right.

Guest Anonymous

I found a place that will drop a turbo engine into my NA 280ZX. However, he indicated the addition of an intercooler wouldn't be street legal in CA. Can anyone verify or debunk this? I'd like a little more boost than just a couple PSI.