HybridZ

car wont start!!!! HELP!

Joe-Z

o.k. guys I don't post to much cause most of the time i find what i'm looking for by searching but cant find any thing on this.

first i'll tell you what my car has had done to it:

71 240Z

L24 .120 overbore

L28 rods,pistons,crank,oil pump

E88 .495 lift / 290 duration cam

holly 4-bbl carb on adapter manafold

10.1 compression

now here is the prob.

i can go out in the morning and try to start my car and it will just turn over and over and over and wont start and i thought i was flooding it but when i check the plugs they are nice looking and dry but it acks like it flooding but then after about 15 mins. of trying to start it,it turns right over and runs great and once the cars warmed up it starts every time but if i let it sit for a couple hours it happens all over again.

now before everybody starts helping me i have replaced this stuff:

battery

alternator

plugs

rotor/cap

coil-PS91 crane cams

igniton XR-700 crane cams

so what do you guys think?

and i think i ruled out vapor lock too but maybe not?

HELP ME PLEASE

Joe

hmmmm.

are you running a points conversion kit on your car? i would check that for power when cranking, i never really trusted those points delete kits, ive had one go out on me and then had to swap in points on a long trip and it kinda sucked. i would check the wiring off that as well, does your ignition box ground to its mounting point or use a lead, i would check those as well.

also, what kind of fuel pump are you using, stock mechanical and electric combo or just electric, im pretty sure its not your problem but hey had to throw it out there.

check the ignition switch for power as well, it could be going out intermittently from contacts corroding from age, turn key switch to on and check with a dummy light on the coil when cranking to see if the light comes on and off, every time you turn key switch on and off, this is a common z problem. if it is the problem you can either go and find a new ignition switch used or new somehwere, or run a switch to it for the time being to send power to the coil.

also, you can jump the coil directly off the battery, if it starts, i would start blaming the switch, if not, look into ignition module, also the tried and true check for spark with a screwdriver when you crank doesnt hurt either.

the way you initially posted leads me to believe it would be the ignition switch, the 15 min of cranking the car, and then it mysteriously fires right up with the plugs not fouling-that takes quite a few of the possibilities away.

hope this helps.