HybridZ

PIC OF MY DESTRUCTED DISTRIBUTOR IRON GEAR

Guys heres the pic of my MSD Distributor gear. Grumpy I understand the mod you told me about filing the groove on the shaft just above the gear for better oiling. If you look at the left Mallory the file place is one solid area (not a problem). The right MSD shaft has a break in between the lower area to be filed. This is for fitting an O-Ring for modified blocks that can accept this. My question is do I file both areas at the bottom on the MSD one? The lower area above the gear and the next small area just above where the O-Ring would go?

:?

album_pic.php?pic_id=1373&sid=f744ddb7cc962e431dfcc3ed782896b6

Thanks in advance.... :wink:

yes you file a groove in both lower bands about .050 wide x.030 deep directly in line with the cam gear when the distributor is in its installed position, youll need to get the car started and timing set then mark the distributor, pull it and correctly cut the groove in the possition to spray a constant stream of oil onto the contact area of the steel cam to bronze dist. gears contact point.

The bottom of a Chevrolet distributor housing can be modified to spray pressurized oil onto the distributor drive gear. The extra lubrication will reduce distributor gear and camshaft gear wear. This is especially important when the gear is used to drive non-standard accessories, such as a high volume oil pump, or a magneto that puts additional loads on it and the cam. When the distributor is installed, the bands at the bottom of the housing are designed to complete the internal right side lifter galley on all small and big block Chevrolet V-8 and 90° V-6 engines. If you hand file a small vertical groove .030-.050" wide x .030deep thats the diam. that crane recommends Ive always used the larger .050 x .030 groove with no problems deep on the bottom band (above the gear), pressurized oil running between the two bands will be directed downward onto both the gear and the cam This procedure is recommended for all Chevrolet engines no matter what material gear (cast or bronze) or what type of camshaft (cast or steel) you are using groove.gif keep in mind the groove MUST be lined up with the cam gear when the distrib. is installed

Would it be better to orient the groove slightly ahead of the contact points of the two gears so they would receive the oil before meshing? I think this is a great idea. I'm gonna do mine next time I have the dist. out.

John