HybridZ

V8 Brakes

Has anyone ever had a problem with rpm raising when applying brakes? Is it a sign of a leaky booster? I moved the booster hose from the back of the carb port to the front port and the rpm raise was less but still occuring. Any ideas?? :?

Yep, definitely a vaccuum leak. Many times, the booster will fill up with gas, too. Hope that helps.

Sorry, it's actually called the master vac check valve. On a 280z it's mounted on a bracket on the fire wall just above and right of the master vac and is inline with the vacuum line going from the manifold to the master vac. It should hold a vacuum on one side and flow air through the other. I assume a ZX has something similar.

If you have a manual, the tests for the brake booster are easy to do if you have a vacuum gage and can cobble up a t-fitting to fit the vacuum lines.

My vacum systm / canister has been bypassed. I only have vacum for the booster. Nothing eles on my motor requires vacum besides the vacum advance. Last night I diconnected the booster and plugged the carb ports. It ran much better and the brakes felt the same so I figure it must have a big leak. Do I need to drain the master cylinder to R&R the booster? Or can I sneak it out without that PITA! :lol:

I got my booster off without having to unhook the lines. Just be careful and watch for leaks. I keep soapy water near by.

I think the check valve is there to prevent manifold gases from backing into the booster, as well as holding the vacuum.