HybridZ

I've got my Z!!!!

I've been wanting to build a V8Z ever since I saw some video's on the internet of a 530hp LS1 powered 240z. Been watching this board for a couple of months now. And today I GOT MINE! I got a 76' 280z in decent shape for $400!! Going to be putting a 300 horse (more later) 4-bolt 350 from a 69' 3/4ton pickup in it, along with a TH400.. I know the trans is a little bit too beefy, but Im on quite a tight budget, and its what I've got. :D Lemme know what you guys think!

-JJ

redruM (Murder, I take it, from the Movie)

I have the same motor in my 71 truck (from a 69), and the only problem I had was finding a spin on oil filter adapter (to get rid of the canister type) that sealed well (that was a mission and I ended up having to do some minor fabrication). But it is a '10' block and with the Vortec heads they make about 300+ hp easily and is very strong, it would be a demon in a car which weighs less than 1/2 of the truck's mass.

Good luck and welcome.

Tim

It might just have been a problem specific to me. I would suggest that you get one (from Summit etc) and fit it and see if it leaks first, then worry about altering it. Get the best quality one you can, not one made in Taiwan or China (easier said than done!!). Try find one that is billet, made in USA, you won't regret paying the extra $$$. If nothing else you will have piece of mind, I worry about mine everytime I change the filter, wondering if 'this time it will start leaking again'. You may want to fit one that has the oil filter relocation kit as a 'one piece' system. That way you can move the oil filter to a location where it will be MUCH easier to change.

Tim

I thought this was somewhat odd.. The guy I bought it from said it was a 76, and I believe it said 76 on the title, but the tag in the door says 3/75. Did they start making 76 models in early 75, or is it a 75? Another question I have. The front right fender panel is the only spot on the car with a bit of cancer. Is that panel easily replacable? I took a quick look, and it looked like it was bolted on. I also got it running Sat, has a helleva rod knock, which the guy told me it had. I pulled the pan, and snugged the #1 rod-end nuts down, as they were almost falling off. It helped a lot, but it still knocks a bit. Anybody want an L28 with a rod knock and a good working 5 speed? :D

-JJ

Guest Anonymous

You should check your Vehicle Identification # on your title on the dashboard of your car visible from outside on the drivers side or found on the upper driver's side of the firewall in the engine compartment. A car made in March of 1975 should be a 1975 on the title.

Good for you. I lived in Utah for many years, and never got a nice Z car that I will buy. Not until I moved and found one down in the Bay Area. The only problem I found about the Z car in Utah is they got beaten up really bad, probably because of the winter road condition there, most Z car I found is very rusty. Also, if you want to see some Z car, goes to North Salt Lake from Temple, before you hit I15 from 300W, there is a big Z car collection there. But beware of the dogs there.

Good Luck on "trading" with Mile. He is a very unique guy, and I think he doesn't like to sell his stuff, and that is why he ask so much for a car without engine. I asked him one time why doesn't he sell part of his "collection", and he said, "I just want to make people crazy!" So funny. For all of those who don't know who we are talking about, there is a guy in Salt Lake City colected over 100(??) Z cars in his lot.

Videos of an LS1 equipped 240? Where? I wanna see that! Especially a 530hp LS1. Got any links?

Although, I suppose you could be referring to Darius's 240, which has (had?) a Procharged and stroked 383 LT1.

LoneStar1's car is the only LS1 powered 240 I've ever heard of.

Mine would be another, except that I am apparently never ever going to finish the stupid thing.... emo.gif

Guest needwaymorespeed

Been to miles umlimited z's once ILL NEVER GO BACK!! That guy thinks its all gold!

yah youll need lots of luck trading with mile.

he's a real different sort!!! wanted 400 for a r200 center diff crazy!

Hey im out in tooele if i ever get my car finished we should hook up.

later