HybridZ

Lincoln 302 Shortblock?

WHP

Lincoln Mark VII engines with low mileage are easy to obtain here, unabused GTs are rare. Did any come with forged internals like the late 80's GTs? I was thinking of getting a low mileage engine and swapping cam, heads, and intake. Any Ford techs know?

You're giving away my secret. As far as I know the 5L HO engines found in mid/late 80's Lincolns contain forged internals and are in fact identical to the 5L HO engines in Mustangs except for the cam (possibly). I recently had a Lincoln engine apart and the pistons were forged TRW units, the same as in my 88 GT engine. I never cared to research the cam specs as I usually install an aftermarket cam.

I like the Lincoln engines due to their availability and their average driver. Most of the engines I have seen have been clean inside with some bearing wear due to mileage.

Josh

a 5.o ho mark 7 can be spotted for sure by the orange 19lb injectors.the lincolns arent picked over in the pick&pulls like mustang parts.plus lincolns usually are driven easy and serviced more often.the aod trans has parts out for it -good for drag racing/street car .a standard 5.0 will have grey 14 lb injectors.these were used in mark 7 and town cars.85 up blocks will have 1 piece rear main seal and bolt holes in lifter valley for roller lifter hold down plate.usually a 5.o mark 7 ho came in a mark 7 lsc.see car craft july 2003 issue-400 hp with a stock junkyard bottem end .

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 1985 lincoln 5.0 in my 280z... it's smooth and puts down great seat of the pants acceleration (haven't had it dynoed yet).

Oh, and it sounds great too... definately has the big throaty v8 burble going on.

highly recommended!

charles