HybridZ

Power Antenna

What I did was to use the "power antenna" signal from the radio to drive a circuit which sends voltage to the stock Z power antenna motor for about 10 to 15 sec (your standard "one-shot" circuit) which was long enough to allow the antenna mast to extend (or retract).

Most of the newer radios have a "power antenna" signal which is generated when the radio is turned on. However, this signal is there all the time the radio is on, so just sending this to the stock Z antenna would burn up it's clutch. Hence, I used an interface circuit. (It helps to be a EE).

However, the newer power antenna motors have a "trip out" mechanism to prevent damage to the clutch so they can handle a continuous signal from the radio. So, if you do not want to fool around with a amateur electronics project, then I would look for a newer type of power antenna motor that will fit your Z car and will handle the logic of the Sony antenna signal.