HybridZ

question about painting this suspension part.... please help

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys. im painting my front control arms but im having a problem.

i took off all the junk off it and cleaned it super good.. its so smooth and nice now.. but all the spray paint im using wont stick... like it goes on very nice and when it dry'es u can put ur nail over it and the paint will scrap off.. is there any way i can make spray paint stick to it?

im great at painting things, very good with rattle cans, and the paint im using is good stuff.

everything else i painted and cleaned came out awesome.

any ideas?

thanks

Smooth is paints enemy. The paint has to have somehting to bite into. You should try and rough it up a little and then use a primer (which you can get in spray bomb) and then your final paint. It should hold up a little better using that method. You also want to make sure that there aren't any remains of the chemicals used to clean it on the part. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Willieboy240z

Ditto to all the suggestions above.

I have done this to many undercarriage and under the hood parts.

Powdercoating is a great option. A little pricer than a can of spray paint, but the results are nearly always impressive.

Sand- or bead-blasting is important for a part such as this. Doing that will also get rid of grease, oil, silicone (?), and other road film with impairs paint adhesion.

At a minimum, if you choose to spray paint it yourself, after sanding you'll want to clean it up real good with laquer thinner, parts washer or some other solvent solution designed to get rid of all the old junk on it. That will give you a much better foundation to proceed with painting.