HybridZ

Not enough fuel volume

HICKL

If I stay in my Quadrajet secondaries for more than a second or two, I start running out of fuel. I have a carter fuel pump mounted at the front of the car (just temporary :lol: ). I know I need to move it to the back. I am prepared to change out the steel fuel line, I believe it is 5/16 ish right now. For a mild 350, 300 hp tops, what size fuel line do I need to feed it? Will 3/8 be sufficient?

Thanks

Guest heinera

I had the same problem with a carter electric fuel pump and the stock fuel lines in my 280Z. I think part of my problem was that I had plugged the vents to the fuel tank.

Right now I have -8 (1/2") fuel line, a mallory electric fuel pump(the carter was way too loud), a summit racing fuel filter (the one that looks like a chrome oil filter), and a vented gas cap. And no more starvation or fuel problems.

My engine is a mild 350 with edelbrock carb.

If you want to fix your problem on the cheap, you may just try a good electric fuel pump near the tank, and make sure the tank is vented, whether through the charcoal canister (and vapor tank junk), or to the atmosphere. If that is not enough, then upgrade to larger line. Or perhaps even cheaper, install a larger line 1st, then if its not enough, do the other.

:wink:

Yup - that's basically what my LS1 has. Stock 280 tank, stock supply and return fuel lines, larger electric pump mounted in same location as stock pump. No fuel problems at all.

Hey -Heinera - from Nampa huh? 2/C county boy! I grew up a 1/A

myself.

I would like to sidebar this discussion. In regards to the fuel pump in the rear, JTR says to use the existing wires that are back there and just splice into them up front. I have not found them. I guess they run inside the body, but where? I know I can run new ones but I would rather not. (thats why I temporarily put the pump op front.)

For a mild 350 you will be fine with the stock 5/16 line. For venting I just drilled a small hole in the gas cap and I now have it vented from the tank as well.

Mike

Actually a funny story goes with my knowing that. I was bringing my two (young at that time) sons home from church one day and the car kept dying. It would suddenly just quit and we'd coast over to the side of the road. Checked spark, checked fuel flow, etc. and everything would always check ok. I'd get back in the car and it would crank up only to do it again a while later. When I got home I started tracking the fuel system back to the pump and then noticed the wiring going up through the floor of the car. Pulled the pasenger seat full forward and lifted the carpet to see a pair of bullet connectors for the fuel pump leads - and one was a little loose. My younger son had been sitting on the deck behind the passenger seat with his feet on that carpet. Whenever he figeted he wiggled the pump leads and shut the car down!

PS - that's also a great place to put an anti-theft kill switch .