HybridZ

Imron 5000

Guest kcambron

Guest kcambron

I just finished up the front end parts of my 73 and was really pleased with the Imron 5000.

The paint flowed out really nice, the only downside is the gloss is a little more than I wanted, I prefer the OEM look.

Has anyone else used this paint recently? I am thinking of doing the engine bay with this type paint also. A little expensive but very nice!

Guest kcambron

Thanks for the input RX, do you not think the 5000 is a wise paint for "outdoor" use? I am past the point of no return now! (read money)!

I didnt do a lot of research on the paint choice but have always heard good things about the imron. I had a friend who used powder coating (front end components) and I decided not to go that route.

What kind of paint would you use for a frame or hard use parts? I plan to use Dupont single stage enamel(Stock Silver) on the engine bay and exterior, any thoughts on that ?

wow, I haven't heard that complaint before...most people want the deepest glossiest looking paint they can get. As far as imron 5000, I've never had any problems polishing out scuffs or scrapes. What are you using to atempt to remove the blemishes? Just compound, or are you wetsanding first (on a solid color)? I've been painting trucks with imron 5000 and 6000 for a while now (I work for a kenworth dealership). They use imron 5&6000 from the factory and overall it's a pretty decent paint. It will last for a long ti me, and very little car is needed since its meant for a commercial use. Personally, I prefer the 6000 line becuase o the protective clear coat. It doesn't tend to oxidize near as bad as a single stage and easier to polish out imperfections, and its a little easier to get a better paint job when doing metallics as you can't wet sand a singlestage to get that super smooth glass look.

I painted with Imron 5000 for yrs (that's why I only have one brain cell left. lol) I loved it when you have all the right stuff. A real paint booth, good filters, and a very clean area. Slow to dry (gets dust), flows out great for the extra high gloss. You can speed up the drying time, but start to lose the flow out and gloss. I sprayed 100ft long locomotives with it for yrs. Two of us would mix up 10 gallon each, one guy to a side, and spray for the next 4 hrs solid. Our company charged up to $37,000 for each locomotive we painted. I painted almost 200 Am Tracs.

I've used that paint on cars with great sucuess. I love to use it more often but I got a little dirt issue with the slow drying time. It stands up to stone chips better that any paint I've used. Any of my own cars I paint, I use it. Lots of people like that PPG b/c paint, I've see touch up problems with it, and stone chips. I am learning how to stop the problems with the touch ups.