HybridZ

2004R Just arrived !

madmanadam

...its not hard at all with the video and manuel...its just not something that the beginner should rush....a clean work area is a must and it helps to have the room to lay out the parts in sequence.....it took me a couple weeks because i double and triple rechecked everything.

Here is a post I made on Turbobuicks.com, maybe I can get some advice here too:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I might just rebuild my BRF 2004R transmission myself. I did want to get a mild rebuild from Jimmy's, but is it really worth the extra $700 or so dollars getting the transmission rebuillt by a shop?

Here is what I found so far from an eBay store:

Oregon Performance Transmisions

-Rebuild kit $105

-Transgo HD2 shift kit $89

-Kevlar band $17

-13 vane pump $39.95

-.500 boost valve o-ring style $13.50

-Rebuild manual (printed) $15.75

Anything else I might need? This is going behind a GN engine in a Datsun 240Z that will weigh about 2500 lbs. with me in it.

I have just purchased a 2004R rebuild video to see what's involved.

Is this really something that a newbie to automatic transmissions can take on?

I've seen a post or two about special tools to take the 2004R apart, so should I pick those up as well or just do the rebuild without them.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!M!

Mat- A couple of recommendations as to parts, based on having read back through all the TurboBuick trans forum posts....

Alto red friction discs and plain (non kolene- ) steels.

The wide Alto red band (heavier anchor); kevlar has been dissed.

Hardened steel pump rings if you go into the pump; cast ones breaking cause pump failures.

I don't know about the current Transgo kits- the old ones are said to have caused problems. Both Bruce at PTS and Chris K market shift kits of their own; I don't think they are any pricier than what you are looking at.

There are hard parts that break with big power and big slicks (one guru said when you start breaking them you know it is time to buy the custom replacements).

Jimmy's in Illinois has a good rep from what I've seen.

Don't let that BRF get away :D .

EDIT re tools- I welded up one device to allow compression of one of the clutch packs; my thumbs weren't strong enough, and I was working alone tearing down a dead tranny to see what was inside it. The other turbobuick forum has a DIY rebuilding post which suggests bending some heavy copper wire to use for a different tool... that did work for me eventually, but I dropped the parts back into the case several times before achieving success. (The commercial tool for that chore would be nice to have). I don't know if dropping stuff back in would do any damage, but it made me uncomfortable.

Thank you! 8)

The BRF isn't going anywhere. I also have a KCF 2004R laying around here. Provided the video I ordered is very in depth, I might just practice on the KCF first.

Thank you for the information :2thumbs:

I'll look into your suggestions and make a post about what I do for others to follow.

Thanks again,

!M!