HybridZ

Paging 7mgte swappers!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Thinking (well 99% sure) of swapping a 7mgte into my Z. I'm also looking a twin turbo manifold (custom made by turboboss) with a set of T03/T04b's. My question is will I have room for the twins? I've seen a pic of them in a MKIII supra but wasn't sure if they'd fit the Z.

My reasoning behind the twins is that the manifold is way cheaper than a single turbo HKS version and two T03/T04b's are cheaper than a T72 or T66. Plus I like the idea of a faster spool up for road racing (even though its probably not all that much faster). If they fit that is...

My $.02. Keep it simple. I would weld on a T4 flange and wastegate flange to your 7M manifold and run a 60-1, T66 or whatever. Twins will not spool up that much faster and if road racing your rpms shouldn't get below 3500 rpm anyways. Also there will be twice as much custom plumbing to deal with and then you still have the exhaust. I run a full T4 on an L28 and only use it for roadracing and I have no problems with lag if I keep it in the powerband.

Guest Anonymous

Aye I think maybe you're right. Tough decision, I'm not really sure how good the stock manifold is on the 7mgte . I was thinking of fabbing something up but I'd have to do some research on whats best for flow.

So you don't wish for twins at all?

It can't be any worse than the stock L28ET manifold :D. Flanges should be around $25 for both.

I don't wish for twins, I do wish for T66 but $1100 is alot when my V trim T4 gets the job done, although it is my HP limiter. The 60-1 and 62-1's flow alot but not as much or as effeceintly as the T series, alot cheaper though. To do all over again I would of started with a T series.

You dont want the turboboss manifold and you dont want twins on that car, especially if you road racing. a single t3t4 hybrid can make well over 400rwhp on a 7mgte, PLENTY to propel a 2300 lb car through turns quickly. These cars get really tail happy with not much power on a road course, they arent like supras where you need 500rwhp to really get through a road course quick. the FASTEST e-production Z in the country has just under 200rwhp, on of if not the fastest street cars that run up at road atlanta is Steve Huetter's turbo l28 motor, and he makes just at 330wheel, I havnt had a chance to run it up there but im willing to bet ill be up there with him.

Guest 240Zduz10s

awesome..!!

what are the odds of getting that 7m motor from ya..

if you ever get around to getting those pics up... let me know man.

Justin

Guest Anonymous

Heres my reasoning behind twin turbos, straight out of A. Graham Bell's Forced Induction Tuning Book

"Turbos respond better to pulsing exhaust flows. However, when many cylinders dump intoa common manifold the individual exhaust pulses are smoothed out. When we run two turbos we effectively spread the pulses further apart and increase their amplitude. Thereforce, when a turbo is spooling up to speed rather than reveiving a constant push it will get a serioes of vigourous shoves that help it accelerate faster. It is for this reason that twin turbos frequently manifest reduced lag rather than that the have smaller low inertia turbine wheels."

I'm probably going to end up fabricating intake/exhaust manifolds and I figure if I'm doing so, why not go for the twins. Especially since the 7mgte isn't a high revving engine I figure twins might be slightly better performance wise. Plus two T04E's are about the same price as one T66.

Also thinking about some funky multiple butterfly progressive opening throttle bodies to ease out of turns and make street driving safe and manageable.

Guest Anonymous

Just run a divided manifold(tubular) into a divided exhaust housing. Same principal as twin but only one turbo/wastegate to deal with.