HybridZ

400 SBC CYLINDER WALL THICKNESS?

Finally found a small block 400 last week. It has already been bored .040 over stock, although the cylinder walls feel like they may be thick enough to go to .060. How thin can the cylinder walls be before my engine becomes a pipe bomb? Is this engine destined to become a really heavy paperweight?

The block is also a high nickel casting, it has the 010 and 020 cast behind the flexplate. At .060 it would be a 412, even better. If it does end up being to thin to use, I'll probably use the crank out of it to make a 383. Either way, not bad for $168.

Quantrex is right. In reading a book of Vizard's, he recommends not dropping below .15 inches of wall thickness. The only way to find out what your block currently has is to have it sonic checked by a reputable machine shop. Remember, it all depends on the block casting, not necessarily the amount it's been bored over.

Davy

Guest gbvol54

Concur with Davy Z. The wall thickness is not necessary uniform for a certain block type. The only way to be sure is a sonic check of the wall thickness. Extra cost, but cheaper than boring a "thin" block.

Guest Anonymous

Another reason to sonic check it. If it will take a .060" overbore and you can afford Scat's 4.00" stroker crank setup, you'll have a 440cid SBC. If it doesn't pass muster, you can always sleeve it and have a big-main hd block for a 383 buildup.

Originally posted by Quantrex:

Another reason to sonic check it. If it will take a .060" overbore and you can afford Scat's 4.00" stroker crank setup, you'll have a 440cid SBC.

Good Golly Miss Molly! That sounds mighty tasty indeed!!! :D

I have been looking for a 400 SBC in the JY around here with no luck. I suppose I'm stuck with searching the classifieds unless I get a lucky break and score a 400 engine cheap.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Do like a friend of mine did. Look for an early '70s Chevy wagon sitting in somebody's backyard. He told the owner he only needed the bumper and grille and offered to tow the rest away for $50. The guy was glad to get it out of his yard.