HybridZ

Stock A/C doable ?

MAYHEM

I just went through this and tried to the point of scratching the crud out of my new engine bay paint :x . I could not get it to fit. For me, there was not enough room to mount it down low and it's just too big to mount over the valve cover. Hood would not close. I gave up. My motor is in the JTR position.

If anybody out there has succeded at this, I would like to know.

I have AC in my LS1 equipped '77 280Z. The alternator is mounted low on the drivers side and the AC compressor high where the power steering pump used to be. The compressor is a Japanese compact design unit that fits beautifully - but that's on an LS1 - not an LT1 or sbc.

Get creative with your belt routing and where the components / tensioners are mounted.

Guest benjlv

i cant think of a compressor that would allow it self to be turned backwards. Most are either piston or rotary...while the stock Z compressor is a swash plate...which is pretty much a simplfied piston. Running a compressor backward is like trying to get a engine to run backward. But keep in mind that hondas run in the opposite direction stock...so maybe you can grab a compressor off one of those.

BTW- i could be wrong about this as it depends on the compressors indicidual design. It maybe possible to use the suction side as the discharge side and use the compressor that way. Youll have to look into it more.

Thanks for the response everyone. The '77 I have has a fairly young ('98) compressor and it works fine. I'm trying to keep it for the swap, without forking out the cash for another one. It looks like I'm going to get out the old T-square and welder and try to whip one up.