HybridZ

Problem with 240sx rear brake upgrade...

Guest 72datsun240z

Guest 72datsun240z

hey

for past couple of months i have been doin research on rear brake upgrades for z cars and i have been told that modern motorsports have the best kit on the market so i took the advice and bought i don't know if its just me or if it has happened to anyone else but the holes on the bracket are about 2-4 mm off the holes in the strut assembly i am getting really mad because its the 2nd major part out of the two i have bought that does not fit like it is suppose to thanks for any help that i get

Guest 72datsun240z

i emailed the guys mms and i am waiting for a reply but do you think that te strut assembly on a 72 240 and early 74 260 differs ,because my driver's side strut assembly is of of a 260 since it has been hit and the lower a arm has bent so i had to replace it and since i couldn't get the spindle pin out i replaced the whole thing. do you think that could be my problem ????

Michael (and other customers) please email me directly to figure out questions you have. I wouldn't sell it if I couldn't support it so please do email me. The feedback/reviews you read Michael were true and as such it will work out as well for yourself. Don't feel singled out but it's frustrating for me as guys have commonly posted on forums without even emailing me (you did email me today, and I replied same day, but you didn't even tell me what didn't fit, just 'doesn't fit') that something doesn't fit, or isn't correct. 99% it's just a misinterpretation by the customer initially, but no matter the source, it's always been sorted out easily and the un-needed net postings just trigger unease in those jumping in and out of forums and not truly hanging out for the full discussion/flavour.

Again, don't take it personally but I just don't understand why customers typically email me and then broadband it to forums. Wait the day or so and it'll be sorted.

Are you sure your struts are OEM 70-78 struts, you have the bracket oriented as shown in the two customer installs (linked thru the webshop, package description) ?? Your brackets were not treated any differently than the rest that were CNC done, of which I've verified the accuracy with only great fitment's proved out. They've been installed on many 70-78 rear strut assemblies without a single fitment issue to date.

Ensure the strut body surrounding bracket mounting is very clean and then visually check it out to ensure it's unaltered at the intended bolt hole locations just as an oddball check. Is it an identical non-fitment on both sides? Were the struts already stripped of the drum assemblies or are they verified original Z struts?

You mention this is one of two major parts bought that doesn't fit. The other major part I'm assuming is not mine as all other parts sent to you have the same untroubled install history as the rear brackets. If you've already resolved the fitment issue of this other 'major part' with the vendor I'd appreciate hearing what that scenario involved.

Take care and please, feel free to email and cover off on showstopper questions with myself sales@modern-motorsports.com.

Guest 72datsun240z

thanks ross i guess i got little agrivated but the holes onthe bracket don't seem to line up with the holes in the strut assembly i made an exact copy of the the bracket mount on a piece of card board to see if the holes were too far apart or something and they are .so the other problem was nothin to do with you that is with motorsport because i ordered the tokico shocks and they send me the wrong ones twice so i guess i was loosing my nerve here thats all. anyway i didn't have the chance to try the kit on the passenger side yet since i had an injury on my hand but i still have my left i'll see about this kit

well anyway sorry for my agrivation

Guest 72datsun240z

is the mounting plate on the strut assembly suppose to be a rectangular kind of type ,because mine has more like a hexagon shape

Guest 72datsun240z

Ross

i am sorry again i just got out of my garage the bracket is installed (thanks god ) all i had to is just put the grinder down and grind down the edges of the strust assembly than hammer couple times with a rubber hammer and its in i just want you to know that it was good doin business with you and i will be interested in buying those z to honda wheel adaptors but thats not until i finish these brakes

Good to hear you got them installed Mike. Were your struts very clean? They are a close fitment as it is a narrow geometry they have to navigate around the rear hub to clear the hub as well as the rotor. If struts are dirty or simply corroded with time they would require wire brushing at minimum. Perhaps their were a few made with a slightly different mold as the portion you ground on the hub assembly is an unmachined outer cast surface that is typically snug on all struts but does clear OK.

Either way, glad you persevered and it got worked thru.

If you need Tokico's at a future date, feel free to check mine out, perhaps a more pleasant experience than the one you just had.

Guest 72datsun240z

i got the tokicos before i found out about ur site i think that i couldn't put them on because the side i was putting them on was of of a junk 260z so the other side should go smother well thanx anyway